I'm new to the "Mac Life" and wondering about these products...

Reaction score
Hello, I'm not terribly educated with computers and networking, but I've been working on an older MacBook Pro for about 1.5 years, have had iPhones and iPods since they were originally released, and now I'm looking to basically convert all computers and networked devices I own over to Apple products.

I have a home music studio, which I'm going to be purchasing a Mac Mini for my professional purposes, while using this MacBook Pro for general surfing, lounging around, etc. I'm interested in a Mac Pro later on, depending on what changes are coming in the follow 1-2 years with it's design, and also some key items that are changing in the studio (T. I'm also looking at an iPad for some synchronized applications for the studio, while still having it for some personal use. I'm even considering replacing my girlfriend's laptop with a MacBook Air for Christmas, since she's been playing around with one at Best Buy, which we're at almost weekly.

So I'm wondering about some Apple products, how they can be used, any other interesting information, and how they integrate into a complete home network. It would be appreciated if someone could fill me in on any rumors about upgrades coming in 2012, especially with the advent of Thunderbolt technology. I've read the website and done some Google searching, but I'm slow and behind the times when it comes to computer technology.

AirPort Extreme - I understand this is a router, but what would be the benefit of using this instead of the provided router/modem from my ISP? Would I need to link the provided modem into the AirPort Extreme, or does it function as a modem itself? Is this necessary for a home network with almost all Apple products, or is a Netgear or other brand router good enough? Perhaps the Airport Extreme is faster or stronger connection than standard routers?

Time Capsule - So, this can be set up to automatically backup my computers wirelessly, but can it be used as a wireless hard drive storage? It would be very cool to have iTunes media stored on the Time Capsule and be able to access it from any computer in the house. I'm not sure if wireless access to MP3s would be fast enough, or if it would strictly be storage/backup. Could this be connected through USB to the Mac Mini for use as a normal hard drive? If it's connected through USB, can other computers still access it wirelessly? I'm especially interested in whether Time Capsules will be updated with Thunderbolt connection in the near future.

Apple TV - I simply don't understand what this is. I've read the description, but it's not clicking. I can plug a TV into this via HDMI and stream wirelessly from my Netflix account... it looks like I could rent and stream from other sources too. Can this access iTunes or other media in the house? Say I have some movies on that Time Capsule, could the Apple TV stream from that source?

iPad - If I have an iPad, could it be used to interface other products, like the Apple TV through an application? I see it's uses in the studio and for media, but if it has wireless connectivity and ability to control other Apple products or computers, that could be useful.

Yeah, I'm not updated on what technology can do now, so sorry if it's a bother to explain all this. Thanks in advance for any advice and information shared.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
First the Airport Extreme and the Time Capsule are routers you still need a modem the advantage is being able to control Airport Express up to 4 of them to send iTunes
throughout your home connected to audio gear.
The Time Capsule is the same as the Airport Extreme with a built in Hard Drive for Time Machine or networking storage.
There would be no benefit to having Thunderport on a TC or AEBS because the bottleneck would be limited by throughput speeds on current wireless.
The advantage one i feel is major with Apple TV is mirroring the iPad/iPhone and being able to slingshot your media from one device to the other.

OP
S
Reaction score
First the Airport Extreme and the Time Capsule are routers you still need a modem the advantage is being able to control Airport Express up to 4 of them to send iTunes
throughout your home connected to audio gear.
The Time Capsule is the same as the Airport Extreme with a built in Hard Drive for Time Machine or networking storage.
There would be no benefit to having Thunderport on a TC or AEBS because the bottleneck would be limited by throughput speeds on current wireless.
The advantage one i feel is major with Apple TV is mirroring the iPad/iPhone and being able to slingshot your media from one device to the other.
Thanks very much. So, I will only need the Time Capsule for having wireless iTunes and storage. I was wondering about Thunderbolt on the TC, so that I could keep the Mac Mini attached through a high-speed TB connection for storage and studio uses, but hopefully still be able to access stored information with other devices and computers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.