AirPort Extreme, brand new

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
The other week I bought a brand new AirPort Extreme to replace my Linksys. Short story, one of the devices on my LAN is wireless G and thus played havoc with the rest of the N devices since the Linksys I had was not dual-band. There was nothing wrong with the Linksys, I bought it when I was living alone and knew all my devices were N, but now with a roommate, I upgraded to Dual-Band. I spent the weekend checking through the settings, getting my Time Machine backup drive set up and working, got the MAC addresses for the main network inputted and the guest LAN set up for the roommate's laptop, Android phone and Wii. Since then, I have had no service spikes or drops and everything is working well. I can monitor the device from my MBP, iPad or iPhone.

So, it sounds like there are no issues. And there are not, however I am looking to see if there is a way to set up something I had on the Linksys that I used quite a bit. I had a small NAS device set up with a HD I used for transferring stuff to/from work via FTP. The Linksys had a screen and settings for setting up a DynDNS so I could get to my FTP server by name rather than IP address (which changes randomly on my ISP). Is there such a thing, or work-around that will allow the same thing on the AirPort Extreme?

Again, there is nothing wrong with the Airport Extreme, I just want to see if it has the same, or similar capability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Do you have a computer at home that can run the DynDNS update client to provide access to the drive?

OP
Deckyon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I could kludge it, but I dont want to go back to having to maintain another device. It is one of the nice things about the Linksys, it kept the dyndns up to date without me having to do anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Another possible option is to use the Linksys in router mode only (if possible) and put the AEBS in bridge mode. Then you can use the Linksys as your DynDNS box and basically have it the same way. Yes, more hardware in the mix, but I did this exact thing for the same reasons as you and it worked fine. I had a D-Link DIR655 in the mix until it died on me. Now, I just run the DynDNS updater on my Mac mini.

edit: Never mind on this, as bridged mode on the AEBS will kill your guest network option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.