• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can't import 1080p from Leica V-Lux 30

Reaction score
Hello, first off when I either insert the card into the slot (mac book pro, snow leopard 10.6.8) or connect the camera via USB I can NOT even see the videos! Any idea why?

Only way I can see the videos is by importing them into Imovie, OK, fine. But, then when I edit them and go to "share" > "export movie" and the choice of formats, all I see under "HD" is 720 not 1080, any help?

I tried to import into Imovie in both "large" and "original" size.

TIA, Piotr

OP
M
Reaction score
Update..... I found out I can BUY imovie 11 from the Mac store for $50. Um kay.
Also, did a little experiment and shot a quick 1080p vid with my Droid, hooked up the phone via USB and....yup, vid is there. I could save it to a folder no problem. SO, why can't I see the vids when I stick the Leica SD into the macbook or hook up the camera via USB?? I checked ALL the folders!

I really don't want to have to open imovie and download it into there to then just export/save onto the computer to edit later.

OP
M
Reaction score
OK, another update:

The Leica V-Lux 30 saves the 1080p movies in an AVCHD format (I have no idea what format the Droid3 saves them in but I have a feeling not that, something different) which I guess is not supported/not available on the mac so hence why I can't see them? Not sure how much sense it makes since I CAN see them in imovie.

So thats a side note.

Here is the real progress, I can also open the movies while the camera is connected (I'm assuming also when I stick the card into the slot but have not tried that yet) via Adobe Premier Elements 9 that came with the Leica! Sweet...well, no different then opening them in iMovie BUT.... I have options under "share" to save to computer in:

H.264 1440x1080i 25
H.264 1440x1080i 30
H.264 1920x1080i 25
H.264 1920x1080i 30

MPEG 1440x1080i 25
MPEG 1440x1080i 30
MPEG 1920x1080i 25
MPEG 1920x1080i 30

Grt...too many choices! I eliminated the "1440" ones.... What is the 25 vs. 30? Which to use? Whats the diff b/t the MPEG vs. the H.264 (I noticed the file for my Droid3 1080p is the H.264) and, does the "i" mean its somehow different from the "p"? as in 1080i vs. 1080p or are they interchangable?

I tried saving as both the MPEG 1920x1080i 30 and H.264 1920x1080i 30 and it saved as file extension: xmpses which, I could not open and watch on the Mac or upload to YouTube. Bummer.... I'm now once again super confused but feel like I made progress and am getting closer....

Another side note, I called Mac support - NO help, think the person was stoned. Called the store I got the camera from - NO help. Called Leica - NO help (well, he did suggest using Premier Elements 9 to open it).

Very little on Google to help....

There is also an option to "share" straight to YouTube (not prefferred, I really want to save to my computer!) but I did try that as well and chose the option to upload as High Def vid for YouTube 1920x1080 but that failed to upload 4 times.

ANY HELP OUT THERE?????? I'm hoping I can figure out how to save to computer with Elements and be able to watch on computer and upload to YouTube (all in 10890 ofcourse...even though can't watch on Mac in it but can hook it up to my TV).

HEEEEEEELP! :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Also, under the "file" menu....why is the "export" option not highlighted? I thought maybe I could use that vs. the "share" to save to my computer.....

C

chas_m

What is the 25 vs. 30?

Frames per second. 25 is roughly PAL standard; 30 is roughly NTSC standard. You don't say where you are, but I assume you know which standard your country uses.

Whats the diff b/t the MPEG vs. the H.264

You've spent several posts detailing the difference in terms of usability ... so I assume you know by now. The H.264 is the better format in terms of compatibility and editing.

and, does the "i" mean its somehow different from the "p"? as in 1080i vs. 1080p or are they interchangable?

The "i" stands for "interlaced" and "p" stands for "progressive," so no, they're not interchangeable. Your camera apparently doesn't shoot 1080p, so there's nothing much you can do about that.

There is also an option to "share" straight to YouTube (not prefferred, I really want to save to my computer!) but I did try that as well and chose the option to upload as High Def vid for YouTube 1920x1080 but that failed to upload 4 times.

Almost certainly because the resulting file is too large or too long. YouTube has upload limitations and 1080 will eat those up SUPER quick.

ANY HELP OUT THERE??????

Sorry, how much did you pay for this help again? Don't yell.

The bottom line here is that you should have done more research before buying the camera. AVCHD is a container that can handle a NUMBER of different types of formats but isn't particularly well-suited to direct import and editing. You should probably find a program that will convert your AVCHD files to H.264 which, as you've discovered, works much better in every way.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the reply! HUGE help! (not yelling, just excited) :)

I'm in The States so, NTSC 30 fames is for me....cool, got it.

Yup, just checked the specks of the camera and it is in fact 1080i.

I did a LOT of research, that was never on my radar...I really LOVE Leica so even if I knew I might have ignored it...

But, it seems strange then that I have H.264 1920x1080i 30 as an option to save but it does not work?

I think I'm still missing something.... should I convert first into h.264 first then try saving using that option? You think Leica would have bundled some kind of converter into Premier then if that was the case.....

Chas, thanks for your help...you've been the only one to chime in here....
(any suggestions for a good converter, I didn't say has to be free...)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.