• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

i phoned apple support . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
hi all, i started to get an issue on my 8 month old MBP,l i phoned apple support, of course my free phone support had expiredand they wanted at least £35 to help me on a warranty matter !

i was preety sure it was a hardware problem and couldnt be fixed over the phone anyway, so in effect i could have given him £35 and it would have been a complete waste of money.

because he fixed me up with a free appointment at my local Genius bar anyway. which i could have done for myself anyway whether it was a hardware OR a software problem.

i didnt fully understand the need for the £35 when i could get it sorted for free at the apple store.

however i might be tempted to go for the extended warranty adding another 2 years !

tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yep. Apple's phone support is 90 days. Anything after that is pay-to-play, or covered under Apple Care.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Apple tech support can run diagnostics via the phone to check and see what the exact problem is, thus eliminating any wasted time when taking it in for repairs to figure out what the problem is. You jut drop it off and give them the claim/referral number. I tested this out when I had a weird speaker issue on my MBP. It's more of a convenience feature for people who don't want to drive the long distance since not everyone has an Apple store a mile away. I wouldn't pay for it if it ran out though.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Apple tech support can run diagnostics via the phone to check and see what the exact problem is, thus eliminating any wasted time when taking it in for repairs to figure out what the problem is. You jut drop it off and give them the claim/referral number. I tested this out when I had a weird speaker issue on my MBP. It's more of a convenience feature for people who don't want to drive the long distance since not everyone has an Apple store a mile away. I wouldn't pay for it if it ran out though.

Fair comment buddy, how do they do that over the phone ? That sounds like magic .
I am in the happy position of being only 10 miles away from my apple store which is quite easy to get to, so I suppose i am a border line case, but even so I reckon I will splash out on the extra two years warranty which of course includes the free phone support, thanks

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Fair comment buddy, how do they do that over the phone ? That sounds like magic .
Tim

Ever heard of this thing called a "computer"? Apple isn't the only one who does this, other computer companies do it too. HP does it, Microsoft does it, even my ISP provider has the ability to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
extended warrentys are always good to have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I got it for my pro and it has saved me over 400 dollars on things such as new hard drive cables, hard drives and charger cords. some of the simple things started having issues and it makes me happy to know that all of these things are covered for another year and half.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My estimate - if I had bought extended warranties on all the stuff I've bought during my life thus far - I would be in the hole somewhere between $25,000-$40,000. And so will most everyone else be in the hole. I'll fix my own stuff if it breaks after warranty, tyvm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
My estimate - if I had bought extended warranties on all the stuff I've bought during my life thus far - I would be in the hole somewhere between $25,000-$40,000. And so will most everyone else be in the hole. I'll fix my own stuff if it breaks after warranty, tyvm.

+10 :)

Nothing makes more money for retailers that 'extended warranties'. Heck they want to sell you one for a 30 buck coffee maker....

Over the last 40 years I way ahead money wise even with some expensive repairs along the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I've always done well with Applecare.

I bought it for my 3GS. After 18 months, the back of the case got a hairline fracture in it. Applecare replaced it with a new unit. I left the new 3GS in the plastic and sold it on ebay for $375. Not a bad sale after using a phone for 18 months.

My current iPhone 4 is 12 months old and has an iffy home button. Occasionally it sticks. At some point, I'll get it replaced under Applecare, leave the plastic on it and sell the new replacement for $375ish.

I had 2008ish white MB. The model that the palm rests cracked on. After 18 months of use, Applecare replaced the entire top case and keyboard (the fix for the palm rest cracks). It looked brand new. The next week I put it on Craigslist and sold it to a guy I met in Dunkin Donuts for $800. Then I bought a refurb 13" unibody MPB from Apple for $1100. Went from an 18 month old white two piece MB to a new unibody MBP for $300.

I typically never buy extended warranties for the exact reason bobtomay mentions, but selling my old Applecare refurbished hardware more than pays for the money invested in the coverage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini
i usually dont buy extended warranties on electronics but always do for my vehicles, almost didnt for the one i have now but im sure glad i did it is getting its 3rd engine now inder warranty. so in some cases its good to have but it is a personal choice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
i usually dont buy extended warranties on electronics but always do for my vehicles, almost didnt for the one i have now but im sure glad i did it is getting its 3rd engine now inder warranty. so in some cases its good to have but it is a personal choice

Ha, ha! I'm just the opposite! Well, almost. I usually get extended warranties on electronics, but never on cars.

Ever read Consumer Reports? They don't recommend it on cars, not sure what they say about electronics.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.