Nas drive backup with time machine

Reaction score
I currently have the following setup
Mac mini 2011, synology ds211j nas with 2 x 1.5 tab drives

I am looking to do the following
Transfer all music and movies onto one drive on the nas and access through iTunes. I would then like to setup time machine to backup all on the mac mini and on the first drive onto the second nas drive. I would also setup the first drive with music and movies as an iscsi drive which I believe makes it a virtual drive and the mac should see it as part of the mac.
I am currently in the process of trying this out but it takes nearly a day to setup the drives initially.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 6-core 2.66 GHz Xeon, dual ATI 5770 HD
I've done most everything you're trying to do (except the iscsi drive part) and it works fine. I've got my music and photos directory on the NAS and play it with songbird (it's encoded in flac so no joy with iTunes) and am using time machine for backups. I've done some restores from the time machine backup just to make sure I could and everything worked fine.

The NAS in question is a ReadyNAS Ultra 4. Oh, and by the way, if you call Apple support with questions about using time machine on a NAS they'll tell you it doesn't work. It works fine as long as the NAS supports AFP.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, so do you also backup what is in you main mac drive and a nas drive to another drive in the nas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 6-core 2.66 GHz Xeon, dual ATI 5770 HD
Thanks for the reply, so do you also backup what is in you main mac drive and a nas drive to another drive in the nas.

No. The NAS is Raid 5 so if a disk fails I can swap it (I always keep a couple new ones on hand). I back up the main drive with SuperDuper to a USB disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.