• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The 99%

Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone thinks about the whole "Occupy Wall Street" movement that has been spreading around? Not trying to start any flame wars here, but just wondering what your thoughts are on this. I'll be happy to share my thoughts in a later post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I have not heard too much on this wall street. Some of it on the news, but other then that, nothing much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I have not heard too much on this wall street. Some of it on the news, but other then that, nothing much.

Guess you don't read papers, watch the news or browse the net for things related to world news then? It's not just NYC, but other countries doing this as well, it's just not publicized as such.

My personal views vary. On one hand, it's something that probably should have been done a long time ago, but perhaps differently than just taking up space the way these people are doing it. In my opinion, most of the people are full of it, and are big ol' hypocrites. They stand there shouting about how big corporations have too much control etc all while sipping on Starbucks coffee, eating MacDonalds burgers and filming it all with their Blackberries, iPhones and Android wares.

If any of them were truly serious, they'd boycott purchasing or using anything that they're supposedly railing against. Sure, it would be hard to do, but don't stand there whining about "the man" all while standing in his living room!

That's just one point though, and far from my entire view of this very broad subject.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
We've an occupy group, occupying a local park.

Of course, there was the former-Marine who was injured in Oakland...

Really??? Occupy's had some pretty major news coverage.. especially for a movement they can't stick in a box and label.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2011 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 16GB RAM DDR3 1333MHz
It gets people talking and to start asking questions.

I fully support this movement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Guess you don't read papers, watch the news or browse the net for things related to world news then? It's not just NYC, but other countries doing this as well, it's just not publicized as such.

My personal views vary. On one hand, it's something that probably should have been done a long time ago, but perhaps differently than just taking up space the way these people are doing it. In my opinion, most of the people are full of it, and are big ol' hypocrites. They stand there shouting about how big corporations have too much control etc all while sipping on Starbucks coffee, eating MacDonalds burgers and filming it all with their Blackberries, iPhones and Android wares.

If any of them were truly serious, they'd boycott purchasing or using anything that they're supposedly railing against. Sure, it would be hard to do, but don't stand there whining about "the man" all while standing in his living room!

That's just one point though, and far from my entire view of this very broad subject.

Doug

Well said Doug!

I think they have some good points that have been raised by the occupy movement, but the whole group has been compromised by politics and other random groups that have joined their ranks. Mr and Mrs America aren't really taking them seriously so far and as violence and other mishaps continue to grow in the ranks the public en-mass will become more and more turned off by what they see.

Do I support them? No. Do I agree with some of what they think they stand for? Yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I like the concept of doing this against corporate greed, but I believe they are going about it in the wrong way. Topless protesting?? Come on! Get real. Get a real protest going at the white house like they are now for the oil pipelines. All this is doing is creating a mockery of future protests agains the banking and corporate system. Also, just sitting on the ground while raining a sign up in the air doesn't say much. You won't find me down there supporting their protesting ways. I'll do my own protesting by reducing my dependency on banks. Did you notice how quickly BofA removed their 5 dollar monthly fee? That's the kind of protesting that gets to them quick!
That's just my opinion.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My opinion?

I think there is a lot of validity to some of the things that are being expressed, but as a whole (and I admit to not having direct contact so have to go off of what I see on TV and read--always fraught with peril) I don't think too much of the protestors.

I think most of them:
a) Haven't got a clue
b) Enjoy protesting, so OWS is as good a gig as any
c) Look at it as potential place to meet girls/guys
d) Went out to pick up a few beers and got lost on the way back ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Struth even Down Under the occupiers have been occupying! Alas far too many are watermelons - green on the outside and pink in the middle to advance their cause/s. It is a fact of life most people are wealthy because they worked at it and hard too. Retired at just the right time and was fortunate enough to be advised to plump some readies into Apple stock (1999). And OP you started the thread so you should provide your thoughts.

What damages their cause is most of them are time wasters do not have a job, have dropped out of uni and living on social service handouts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
They should be protesting Washington lobbyists and politicians, and thus by extension, themselves and everyone they/we voted for. Wake me up when they trade in the signs and bullhorns for more serious tools. Until then, it's merely theatre. At least the Greeks have the stones to get messy when they disapprove of the looting their country to backstop banks' shareholders' gambling losses... er, investment losses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
They should be protesting Washington lobbyists and politicians, and thus by extension, themselves and everyone they/we voted for. Wake me up when they trade in the signs and bullhorns for more serious tools. Until then, it's merely theatre. At least the Greeks have the stones to get messy when they disapprove of the looting their country to backstop banks' shareholders' gambling losses... er, investment losses.

I agree with yo times a bazillion percent!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm just not sure what the end-goal is. When people protest, typically there's an understood objective in that protest. These folks don't seem to have one. I've heard that they're protesting against corporate greed, for social equality, for fair wages, etc., etc. Honestly, what do these guys expect to happen? They need to have some kind of measurable goal, otherwise, it's just a waste of time.

I have an idea, let's everyone on this forum get together and occupy a public place in the name of world peace! That should fix everything.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an idea, let's everyone on this forum get together and occupy a public place in the name of world peace! That should fix everything.

I vote for a restaurant . . . preferably one that serves pizza and has big screen TVs. ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
They need to have some kind of measurable goal, otherwise, it's just a waste of time.
Wait, you mean sitting around in tents making funny hand symbols to vote on useless topics isn't a goal in and of itself? ;)

By the way, you're all more than welcome to blame Canada for this one seeing as how the protests were initiated by a Canadian organization.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Acorn is Canadian?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Adbusters, the group that started the occupy movement, is Canadian. I don't even know what Acorn is.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't even know what Acorn is.

Nuts with a hard shell that seem to promise good things but leave a bitter taste in your mouth . . . .. ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was going to make a joke about that but I figured a bunch of nuts didn't cause this problem. Wait, maybe a bunch of "nuts" did. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.