helllllllp

Reaction score
im in freak out mode.

last night my cat knocked over a vase of flowers flooding the table it was on and my mac as well.

my mac was in a hardshell case and was just sitting on the wet table cloth. when i found it i immediately removed the case and dried the base of my mac. i didnt think water got in anywhere but the 'curtain' on the cd drive looked to be wet on one side.

it was still on when i found it, which i hope is a good sign. i had turned it off and left it off, sitting on paper towels for about 12 hrs. im just curious if anyone knows if there will be extensive damage and i should be bringing it to an apple store, or should i not even be using it all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Should be OK, but what model is it.

You might want to pull the keyboard up and run a hairdryer in the insides

OP
S
Reaction score
just a mac book, i got it a year ago in august.
i was a little worried that a hair dryer would do more damage than good

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
A white or aluminium macbook

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
it was still on when i found it, which i hope is a good sign. i had turned it off and left it off, sitting on paper towels for about 12 hrs. im just curious if anyone knows if there will be extensive damage and i should be bringing it to an apple store, or should i not even be using it all?

It's hard to say...unless someone has "x-ray vision" to see if there is water/moisture on the inside of your Mac...and since all of us are on the internet...even if we had x-ray vision...it wouldn't help from 100's or 1000's of miles away!;)

About the best you can do is wait a few days to let most or all of any possible moisture to evaporate. Of course if you were super concerned...and had the ability to take this computer apart to look at it...that would be even better.

You didn't tell us what model Mac you have...but if it has a removable battery...I would remove it...and of course unplug the computer from the electricity. If you have a newer laptop with the non-user removable battery...not much you can do about this.

I would also minimize moving the computer...since if you move it...and any possible moisture that is in it may migrate from somewhere "safe" to somewhere not-safe.

Finally...taking it to Apple probably isn't a great idea:

- First because all that movement will cause any moisture to migrate around inside the computer.
- Second...Apple won't cover any damage under warranty...because cat's spilling water on a computer is not covered
- Third...Apple will probably tell you that you need a new logic board...costing $500-$700+ dollars.

The best you can do at the moment is wait a couple days, and hope for the best. And if you don't mind my saying...don't put your computer anywhere where it's near liquids...ESPECIALLY if you have a cat!!! We have tons of "BAD CAT" stories!

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
unfortunately it is a white macbook with a non removable battery. i was tempted to start taking the back plate off by the screws, but considering i dont really know what im doing i didnt want to cause more damage.
again unfortunately i have to move it, i am home visiting for the weekend where the incident took place, and have to get back to my apartment for school shortly. it is gonna move about 200km.

thanks for all the advice. i guess ill keep it turned off and use it as little as possible for the next few days and if i notice any major errors ill suck it up and replace anything that needs replacing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
unfortunately it is a white macbook with a non removable battery. i was tempted to start taking the back plate off by the screws, but considering i dont really know what im doing i didnt want to cause more damage.
again unfortunately i have to move it, i am home visiting for the weekend where the incident took place, and have to get back to my apartment for school shortly. it is gonna move about 200km.

thanks for all the advice. i guess ill keep it turned off and use it as little as possible for the next few days and if i notice any major errors ill suck it up and replace anything that needs replacing.

Since you already had to move the computer...not being able to remove the battery is pretty much a "moot" point now.

Remember:

- liquid + Mac = bad
- liquid + Mac + cat = very bad!!!;)

Good luck,:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

PS. When someone earlier suggested using a hairdryer, they forgot to say "COOL OR WARM AIR ***ONLY***" in huge screaming warning letters. On those settings, the hair dryer will do no harm.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.