Switching for Graphic Design

C

callarose

I'm really considering switching from PC to Mac. . . I do alot of photography and videography on the side (weddings, etc.), and want to do even more. I currently use Photoshop CS (for image editing) and Premiere 6.0 (for video editing) - on the PC.

I really like Mac - for user friendliness and cost. I've played with the OS in the store, and am very comfortable with the setup. But iPhoto and iMovie just don't have the features I'm going to need. I hate to spend $600+ each to buy Photoshop and Premiere again. . . and they do have more features than I really need. Any advice on software that will give that professional quality, but not dry out my bank account?

Also, I'm looking at the iMac G5 1.9GHz, 512MB Ram, 160GB HD for $1299
and I don't want to have to think about upgrading again for a few years. Will this be a suitable system? I don't do the gaming thing. . . but I will need to get Office for Mac.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

OP
A

AlexN

If I were you, I would definitely go with the 20", especially if you're into graphics design. They just upgraded the iMac, I don't think it will be upgraded again in the next 6-8 months.

OP
U

UncSki1218

20" is a must for u. as for the software. if you want pro quality u kinda have to spend a lot. Maybe get photoshop elements (unless you need more). for video try final cut express.

OP
L

lil

I'd definitely go with what AlexN and UncSki said, save up a bit more for the 20" iMac, the screen on them is fantastic plus it has a wider viewing angle than the 17".

Photoshop Elements is a great start too, sure it lacks some of the high end features of the full version (I use v7 and Corel Painter IX) bnut it'd be a great start.

It is a shame you will have to purchase the software again as such but consider how much more comfortable and enjoyable your work will be for having it on the Mac which you have fallen for vs. 'making do' with your work on the PC.

I wouldn't do my work on anything but the Mac, not because it's a luddite position, but because I just enjoy the whole experience so much.

Vicky :flower:

OP
C

callarose

Thanks for all of your advice. I really do like the 20", just have to convince my husband (of course, he just spent a small fortune building his own PC - what's good for the goose . . . right?) I think I'm going to take the plunge!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
tell him he can keep his PC and to never touch your mac.

OP
C

callarose

fearlessfreap24 said:
tell him he can keep his PC and to never touch your mac.

Actually, he went with me to look at them at CompUSA and really likes them - he told me I'd better watch out if they start making more games for them! Of course, he wants the 30" screen!!! After the trouble he's had with windows, he's on the edge of switching too!

Now, I just have to get used to not having the left-click/ right-click capability. There will be a lot of adjusting for me, but from everything I've read and heard, it will be so worth it once I play with it for a little while!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
you can get almost any 2 button mouse and it will work with the Mac. Apple has the Mighty mouse now and it is a 2 button mouse.

OP
J

jn4jenny

Seems like you've gotten good advice so far and you've already pretty much decided to switch. Here's some things to think about, though:

1. 512 MB of RAM is considered by most Mac users to be the MINIMUM RAM for OS X Tiger. I really recommend that you budget to add more RAM, and that you don't buy that RAM from Apple. Apple gets its memory from Crucial, and you pay less for it if you order it direct through www.crucial.com. Or of course, there are many generic and cheaper brands available (try www.dealram.com to see price samplings)

2. If you haven't investigated The Gimp yet, do so; it's an open source alternative to Photoshop and it's available for both Windows and Mac. If you're used to the Photoshop menus, then consider also trying GimpShop, which is an altered version of The Gimp that practically matches the Photoshop menus one-to-one, so that you won't feel like you're in a different application. You can check out Gimpshop through www.gimpshop.net, and regular The Gimp at www.thegimp.org.

3. Don't buy your software direct from Apple either. It's available much more cheaply through third party dealers, and of course, on Ebay. If the version of MS Office is not important to you, you might save a little cash by purchasing Office v.X, which was the version before Office 2004.

4. Definitely get yourself a two-button mouse. I use a regular old Microsoft Intellimouse Optical Explorer with my Mac, which has FOUR buttons (yes, ooooooh) and I can't live without it. Those one button Apple mice drive me insane.

5. If your husband is crowing about the cost of the 20-incher, see if you can sell him on the 1.5Ghz 20-incher refurb being sold by Apple for $1149 (original retail $1899). You can still get AppleCare on the refurb machines and this is the iMac model that was discontinued just this past May. It's got almost the same specs as the current 17-inch model but it sports the bigger screen; the only real drawback is that it comes with only 256MB of RAM, so you'd definitely have to drop some extra RAM into it. Nonetheless, it's a steal financially. If you want to seriously consider the refurb, the profiles at www.lowendmac.com can help you hash out the difference in specs between the available refurb and the current models: http://www.lowendmac.com/imacs/index.shtml

OP
C

callarose

Wow! Thanks for the advice!

I've been looking at the links you sent. . . prices aren't bad at all for more RAM.

One question. . . I've upgraded my PC myself - and it's much cheaper than sending it in. . . if I buy the generic RAM, can I install it myself on the iMac? I'm just wondering because of the way everything is built into the monitor - I'm not familiar with that setup. . . If I can't install it myself, do you have a recommendation?

Thanks again to everyone for all of your helpful advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You might be able to get upgrade pricing ($150) from CS1/Windows to CS2/Mac. The regular upgrade package won't work, but if you call Adobe Sales, they might be able to make you a deal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.