• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Movember

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
For those that didn't know, November is "Movember", a month where men grow moustaches (and no other facial hair) to raise awareness about men's health. There's a whole donation campaign as well.

Anyone here partaking? I just shaved my face such that I only have the 'stache left.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Thought about it but I have had a full beard for 34 years.

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm usually clean shaven or I have some small sideburns. So, this will be an interesting month... ;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Never heard of it before. :\

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I've never heard of it either. What men's health issues are we raising awareness about? You have a 'stache? Time for another G+ meet and greet!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have to admit I haven't heard about "Movember" either...but here's some info (looks like things got started around 2003)...so I'm learning about it::)

Movember United States - Home

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
This whole month for everyones issues/race/cause/grip/moan and so on is pretty silly IMO. All it makes we want to do is ignore the issues even more and in the case of charitable donations simply causes me to cease giving to (or caring about) that cause all together...

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never heard of it either. What men's health issues are we raising awareness about? You have a 'stache? Time for another G+ meet and greet!!
Prostate cancer primarily. And yes, I have a 'stache right now. Wait until the end of November for the MF unveiling of it. ;)

This whole month for everyones issues/race/cause/grip/moan and so on is pretty silly IMO. All it makes we want to do is ignore the issues even more and in the case of charitable donations simply causes me to cease giving to (or caring about) that cause all together...
A little cynical no? If that's the basis for not donating anything, you probably don't donate to much.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
So glad baggss showed up to spread a little holiday cheer today...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Movember was actually started in Australia in 1999 and has escalated to it eels world wide now. It was originally started here in Australia bc there isn't a great deal of support for men with mental health problems.
I fully support this charity bc me personally have lost a marriage bc there was no help for me when i needed it. Im now committed to fighting the government
to the end bc 16yrs ago i should of been medically discharged from the Military and bc they are who they are kept things hidden within my old unit and discharged me as quick as possible.
Its so easy for them to brush peoples under the rug.

It is your opinion but i find it to be quite a shallow comment to be honest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A little cynical no? If that's the basis for not donating anything, you probably don't donate to much.

Cynical? Perhaps, but you might be surprised. I'm not going to change my shopping habits because store "X" chooses to make a donation to cause "A" for every $10 I spend during whatever the given "sob story make you feel good" cause is this month. Will I frequent a store because they give to local homeless shelter, school or other cause in my community year round? Certainly. Nor am I going to attend rallies and follow the rest of the "feel good sheep" in caring about a cause because someone felt like assigning it a month. If you care about a cause you care about it for personal reasons and you care about it 24/7/365, not just the 30 days the media chooses to shove it down your throat with silly ads and promotions all done in poor taste. Charity and making donations are, IMO, a very personal choice that one should make for a good reason, not because the media or anyone else tells you should. If you are taken in by this sort of thing then I would submit that you are simply trying to ease your conscience by throwing money at whatever the cause of the month is today. You should give because you want to, because you know it's the right thing to do. Anything less is disingenuous at best.

For the record I also don't claim any tax deductions for any charites or causes I support. I don't do it for the tax breaks, I do it because I care about the causes I give to.

Careful how you judge people.

BrianLachoreVPI said:
So glad baggss showed up to spread a little holiday cheer today...

It's nice to be appreciated. ;)

TattooedMac said:
It is your opinion but i find it to be quite a shallow comment to be honest.

Yes, it IS my opinion, thank you. Think as you choose, it's ok, I don't really care.

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you care about a cause you care about it for personal reasons and you care about it 24/7/365, not just the 30 days the media chooses to shove it down your throat with silly ads and promotions all done in poor taste.
Just because someone partakes in an event dedicated to a particular cause doesn't mean that they don't care about it all year round. In fact, I'm willing to bet that the people who started the event care more about it on a personal level that most other people. And if we want to expand your logic, there's no point in celebrating anything since you should embrace and enjoy the intent of those events/holidays year round.

If you are taken in by this sort of thing then I would submit that you are simply trying to ease your conscience by throwing money at whatever the cause of the month is today. You should give because you want to, because you know it's the right thing to do. Anything less is disingenuous at best.
So, you're implying that I don't actually care about men's health? That's quite a claim to be making considering that you know nothing about me, my personal history and experiences with men's health related issues. A little background for you: I'm a male and I've had male members of the family die of cancer. I'll let you draw your own conclusions from that one (hopefully one a little more sensitive than this one).

Please don't tell me to be careful how to judge people after that judgement-laden comment. You implied that I was a disingenuous "bandwagoner" who didn't care about men's health because I tried to raise awareness of a campaign to raise funds. I would say I'm sorry I tried since it seems to bother you so much but I don't think it's possible for me to assuage your irrational hostility towards attempts to raise awareness. Instead, I'd suggest that you take a step back and think about how your response was hypocritical and unnecessarily vitriolic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just because someone partakes in an event dedicated to a particular cause doesn't mean that they don't care about it all year round. In fact, I'm willing to bet that the people who started the event care more about it on a personal level that most other people. And if we want to expand your logic, there's no point in celebrating anything since you should embrace and enjoy the intent of those events/holidays year round.

The people that started the events probably do and I never question their motives. It the people who rely on this sort of thing to make themselves feel better by giving money because someone tells them they should that I was remarking about.

So, you're implying that I don't actually care about men's health? That's quite a claim to be making considering that you know nothing about me, my personal history and experiences with men's health related issues. A little background for you: I'm a male and I've had male members of the family die of cancer. I'll let you draw your own conclusions from that one (hopefully one a little more sensitive than this one).

I never said you didn't. Funny that my statements were more or less general (not aimed at you in specific), although I can see how you might think I meant you specifically. If you choose to take it that way thats fine but your original statement was aimed directly at me personally and you implied that I was obviously not the kind of person who gave to any kind of charity because of my "cynicism". Here's a clue for you. I'm a male and I've had members of both genders in my immediate family suffer from illnesses ranging from Cancer to Arthritis to Heart Disease. You made an assumption about me just as I may have made one about you. Pot. Kettle. Black.

Please don't tell me to be careful how to judge people after that judgement-laden comment. You implied that I was a disingenuous "bandwagoner" who didn't care about men's health because I tried to raise awareness of a campaign to raise funds. I would say I'm sorry I tried since it seems to bother you so much but I don't think it's possible for me to assuage your irrational hostility towards attempts to raise awareness. Instead, I'd suggest that you take a step back and think about how your response was hypocritical and unnecessarily vitriolic.

Any implications I made were general and not aimed at you. That being said though, you were the one who accused me directly of being cynical and uncharitable. If there is hypocrisy involved here then we are perhaps both more than guilty of it so please don't stand there and try to paint me with a brush that is equally applicable to yourself. I'd say you might want to come down off your high horse and stop preaching at me when you are the one who started making this a personal issue by making uneducated assumptions about me. My original comment, as distasteful as you may have found it, simply said that I disagreed with the tactics used by the media in general and how I found them somewhat off-putting. I made no comments about any one else or made any judgements about those who choose to participate, I simply stated my opinion and my feelings. Period. You are the one who chose to attack me personally by implying that I was uncharitable while knowing nothing about me or how I choose to give. Maybe you need to take a step back yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
I have thought about it, many friends are doing it, but just cannot get past the itchy second week in my head..maybe next year or the year after....

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Getting a little off topic? It's kind of hard for me to grow a stache.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Getting a little off topic? It's kind of hard for me to grow a stache.

How old are you? I wasn't able to really grow one until I was in my 30s...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
How old are you? I wasn't able to really grow one until I was in my 30s...

Early 20s. >_>" Well at least that's somewhat comforting.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
I wish i could participate, but the pitiful bumfluff excuse for a "moustache" I grow on my face after 30 days is too embarrassing for public viewing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.