What do you think of this backup strategy

Reaction score
I have a 750gb hd in my mac and only about 400 gb is full.

I have a 2TB external drive and will be buying another. I was thinking one for time machine and the other for a carbon copy cloner backup.

I then got to thinking why not partition the drives so that I could have the TM and CCC backups on both? I was thinking 750 GB for the CCC and 1250GB for the TM. I could keep one drive at home and it would backup at night, and the other would be kept at work and backup during the day.

Any downside to having a two partition backup disk like this? Obviously if something happened to the disk I would lose both the CCC and TM backup but I would have both on the other drive. versus if I used a drive for each I would potentially lose either the TM or the CCC if I had a drive failure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
As you pointed out if the drive fails you lose both since drives are affordable now IMHO it would be best to have CCC on one and TM on the other and having an offsite
backup is a very good idea.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Why not use one for TM and the other for CCC which you keep offsite (assuming you can do this)?

OP
S
Reaction score
Why not use one for TM and the other for CCC which you keep offsite (assuming you can do this)?

I could - but I am wondering why not partition the drives so that I have a TM and CCC backup on both drives? One kept onsite (at home) and one at work.

Granted this wouldn't be as good as 4 drives with a seperate TM and CCC drive at home and work but wouldn't it be better than one drive of each?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook® Pro / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 13.3" Display / 4GB Memory / 320GB Hard Drive
this strategy should work fine keep in mind though that carbon copy is exactly that a carbon copy of your drive. So this is a back up you will want to do once a week or so while time machine is an ongoing daily thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Note when doing CCC on the same drive I would turn TM off till CCC completes its task as TM will try to access the drive every hour.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook® Pro / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 13.3" Display / 4GB Memory / 320GB Hard Drive
Note when doing CCC on the same drive I would turn TM off till CCC completes its task as TM will try to access the drive every hour.

great point

M

MacInWin

And make sure you tell TM NOT to backup the CCC drive! It will try to do that, too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.