Need to switch! But to what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ISO
Alright! Hello everyone!
Ok so I am looking to switch from a PC to a MBP as soon as possible. I am a full time college student majoring in geographic information sciences and it requires me to use ARC GIS which is incredibly expensive but only runs on Windows. No problem as I can use bootcamp or something similar, but it is fairly intensive because i will be working with databases, modifying and creating map projections. I would not mind buying the 17in mbp but there is no space for such a beast! so i am looking at the smaller variants.
~Should i wait for the next redesign? Should i purchase a 2011 spring or fall model?
~Also how future proof are Macs? My cheap hp is crawling along with 3.5 years on its chassis.
~And if i splurge on a brand new system vs an older refurbished one should i attempt to keep up with the major redesigns?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook® Pro / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 13.3" Display / 4GB Memory / 320GB Hard Drive
good day booya and welcome i have found Macs to be very future proof un like most machines out there they tend to hold up well as far as what machine to get make sure you get one that has thunder bolt which is the next gen i/o. i believe all late 2011 models have it. i dont think waiting for the next redesign will give you any huge new features as thunder bolt just hit all MBP's. the sagest advice i can ever give anyone in laptop buying is buy as much computer as you can afford as this is the best way to future proof when buying a laptop.

hope that helps

Reaction score
For what its worth I have a MBP and run windows 7 under fusion and use GIS programs daily. It works great. This is my first Mac and after a couple of months with it I am totally pleased and doubt I will ever buy another PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.