Is Firefox ok to use on my MBP?

Reaction score
I am a new user (can you tell by the user name!?), and I want to try and preserve as much "mac uniqueness" as I can by running what it was designed to do. However, that said, I use a password program (LastPass) that I LOVE, but even after installing the "safari fix", it still won't work like it does in Firefox. I want to keep using Safari, but LastPass keeps up with all the passwords and (in firefox) will automatically and securely log me in on all sites that require a password - something I simply cannot get to work in Safari at all. So will I be screwing up anything by installing and switching to Firefox on my mac? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Firefox won't mess anything up, many use Firefox rather than or aswell as Safari on a Mac..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook® Pro / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 13.3" Display / 4GB Memory / 320GB Hard Drive
fire fox runs just fine on a mac, but a good substitute for last pass is 1password

OP
mountaindreamlife
Reaction score
Is there a particular "version" of firefox that runs best on the mac system then? I have an older version on my pc, but hubby has a newer one on his (my win 7 machine with 64 bit is prone to "issues")... Also, once I install firefox - whatever version is deemed best - should I uninstall Safari?

Would I have one of those cute litte icon things on the launchpad for firefox? Those sure make things easy to see what's going on!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I would definitely run the later versions of FF - they seem to perform better. At least 4.0 or higher. I think FF is up to 8 in beta now. Just download the latest non-beta version.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Firefox 7.0.1 is the most current stable version and there's little reason not to use that.

OS X is designed to run third party software so there's no need to be concerned about installing additional programs (as long as you don't install software from shady sources). In fact, I'd say that it's near impossible to use a computer effectively without installing apps beyond what comes with a default install.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For sure run the newest FireFox as it's better and they have improved Memory Usage.

Do not try and uninstall Safari. It's now pretty integrated with OSX. Just leave it be. It does not take up much room.

Once you install Firefox by dragging the FF icon into the Applications folder, you can drag that to the DOCK and have it in your Dock at the bottom just like Safari.

Just a note, you might give 1password a try for Safari. Most love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Any application you install will have a Launch Pad icon. If you want it in the Dock at the bottom of your screen, you'll have to drag it there from the Applications folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
I use 3.6.16 but only because I play games on facebook (I tried updating to 5.0 when that was out for a bit and still some extensions wouldn't work) and had too many problems. I really should try the newer versions but I've only seen complaints that you might lose some extensions and I haven't bothered to take the time. I would advise you to just keep a current copy of your profile (make a time machine backup or backup a copy of your ff profile) and find what works best for you and your user habits..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Do not try and uninstall Safari. It's now pretty integrated with OSX. Just leave it be. It does not take up much room.
Good point. Uninstalling Safari is going to cause more problems than it solves. Leave it be if you don't use it.

OP
mountaindreamlife
Reaction score
Ok then, to sound like a total noob - I just go to firefox and select the version I want (the recommendation of 7.01 sounds fine), click download, then what... In other words, will it install itself in the right place, and put some kind of icon somewhere that I can move to the dock? I know these are stupid questions - and if I was doing this on the pc, I would have no questions - but I'm in pretty much uncharted waters for me!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This wiki page explains everything you should need to know about installing applications.

OP
mountaindreamlife
Reaction score
Thank you all SO much for the super helpful instructions. I successfully uninstalled the lastpass for safari, installed firefox, and lastpass for firefox - and it was pleasingly easy - just about like I've always done in the past. Not very different at all, and it all works terrific.

One question though - you know how you take three fingers and sweep up to move to another desktop (or set of tabs)? Well in firefox that doesn't seem to work - I have to actually minimize it. Am I doing something wrong?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.