New Switcher here!! Help: MBA 11" or iPad ?

Reaction score
Dear all,

I'm happy to be here! :D

I'm a prospective biz school student and am planning on ditching the P.I.T.A. Windows 7 Starters Netbook that's freaking slow, filled with incompatibility (with other hardwares) to the max, and overall just Uber UNCOOL! I plan to find a substitute when I go to school next summer.

My family has an iPad that is super cool, super fast, super portable, and super easy to use that I envy. But recently I started gazing at those drop-dead gorgeous MBAs. They just make me......droooool.....

Ok, I understand that I'm kinda comparing an Apple (Ha!) to an orange here. The MBA probably is the one that has all the functions for a student. But it also costs TWICE AS MUCH as the iPad! I was thinking, with the right accessories (e.g. bluetooth keyboard) maybe I could transform the iPad into a powerful labtop substitute. Could iPad be a powerful content creator (i.e. writing reports, making Excel sheets and graphs, preping PPT presentations, or any other "student" activities...)? Or do you think there are many things that an MBA can do for students that an iPad simply can't dream of doing?

So HELP PLZ~~ Any other students out there with the same dilemma?? :/

Reaction score
As cool as the iPad is, it will never be a viable laptop replacement. Having owned them both, I would highly recommend the MBA.

Reaction score
Agree with 05GT I have the MBA 11" i7 and love it to bits - ultra portable and fast.

I have not looked at the netbook since I brought it.

Buy the MBA you will not regret it I promise you

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I couldn't agree more with the above posters. Please don't talk yourself into the iPad - not as a primary computing platform for school - you will regret it very quickly. Get the MBA - it will be perfect for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.