used mac book pro

Reaction score
I recently bought this mac book pro from a friend, and am just trying to get somethings straightened around. When I got it home i put microsoft office on it and noticed that his name comes up on the download and it also comes up as his computer on my iphone. How do I change that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook® Pro / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 13.3" Display / 4GB Memory / 320GB Hard Drive
the best way to do it would be to do a full reinstall of the OS but I'm not sure if there is another way

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree. It's always a good idea to completely wipe a used computer clean and install a new copy of OS X. Hopefully your friend included the original install and recovery DVD set with the machine. You'll need that to do a reinstall.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yeah he didn't, I'll see if he has them though. thank you for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You should always erase the hard driven format Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and select GUID under Partition and do a clean install from the system disc. If it came with programs and no discs they legally are not yours.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ok I have the Mac OS X Install dvd that came with my computer but now how do I wipe it and start over?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Ok I have the Mac OS X Install dvd that came with my computer but now how do I wipe it and start over?

Wow almost a year later . . . regardless. Insert the DVD and then do a restart from the Apple menu. Hold down the Option key or 'C' key (the first will give you a choice, the other will boot from the DVD). Boot from the DVD then open Disk Utility and Erase (format) the Hard Drive, then install the OS.

Make sure you have a back up of your files before you start as formatting will erase everything.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
J
Reaction score
Ok I erased the hard drive but I can't get it to load the OS disk. It wants to start up mountain lion. Now I think that I may be in over my head but, gone this far!! When I get to Install OS X it says select the disk where you want to install OS X, two choices Mac OS X install DVD and Mac OS X install ESD. Both of them say at least 326.2 mb free 4.78 gb total. Cannot pick either and so won't let me go any farther.

C

chas_m

Something's definitely not right there -- do you some kind of flash drive attached to that machine?

C

chas_m

Ok I erased the hard drive but I can't get it to load the OS disk. It wants to start up mountain lion. Now I think that I may be in over my head but, gone this far!! When I get to Install OS X it says select the disk where you want to install OS X, two choices Mac OS X install DVD and Mac OS X install ESD. Both of them say at least 326.2 mb free 4.78 gb total. Cannot pick either and so won't let me go any farther.

On thinking about this further I believe I understand what's going on -- you're not actually booted from the DVD, you are booted from the hard drive (which is not erased). Since you can't install a system on the same drive you are working off of (of course), you're only seeing the only other options available.

Restart the machine. Hold the option key down. Wait for the DVD to appear as a boot option. Select it and press return.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ok I have tried that several times and it keeps coming back that I don't have enough space left. So I need to erase the hard drive yet but not sure how to do, says that the partition is full I believe.

C

chas_m

1. Boot from the DVD like you have done.

2. Once you've selected English as the language (or whatever your native language is), IGNORE the main screen and look up at the menubar. Select "Disk Utility" from there.

Now you should be able to erase the hard drive, quit Disk Utility and install as normal.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ok I got a friend of mine who is better with computers to fix my oops. So all good now, but thank you for the help!! One question though I didn't back up my music which is no biggie because my purchases are on iCloud but how do I get my other music off my iphone? when ever I try to sync it attempts to erase it. Just wondering if its something else I'm missing lol

C

chas_m

You're not missing anything, that's a deliberate anti-piracy block built into iTunes. You can get around it by purchasing a third-party utility like Phone to Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.