Windows Gaming on a Mac Question

Reaction score
I own an Imac and want to play the new MMO The Old Republic. I am going to install windows on my mac in order to play and plan on using parallels. My question is, what version of windows will work the best?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The game will not be playable through Parallels. You want to install Windows using Bootcamp.

Reaction score
Parallels has problems with DirectX. I'm not sure if the title in question utilizes it, but even a product from ten years ago will experience difficulties in that regard.

Reaction score
Bootcamp and Windows 7 is best for playing Windows games.
Any virtual system including Parrallels and Fusion will not work well for games.

Reaction score
For such games to work, they need direct access to the video hardware of your Mac. You can only get that through Boot Camp. The virtual machines also use a virtual video driver - it's not the same and gaming performance suffers. Both Fusion and Parallels have worked hard to improve it, and video is fine for normal productivity applications, web surfing, YouTube, etc. But not for games that demand all the resources your video hardware has - it's just not likely to work the way you want it to.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
don't use any kind of virtual machine for games that require a lot of hardware. Shared hardware between two complete and running OS's just isnt going to cut it.

Bootcamp or get a windows laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
Don't even mess with a laptop, get a desktop w/ high-end processor and video card. A recent iMac will fit the bill.

Reaction score
Ok, folks, let's read the OP too and not just the post above -- the poor OP HAS an iMac. To the OP - good luck and post back if you need more help.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.