The main thing I miss from windows

Reaction score
I have had my first mac for about a month now and so far I love it but the only thing I really miss which I used a lot in windows is the abilty to drag a couple of open windows to either side of the screen and the automatically resize to each fill half the screen. Most of the time when I am working on stuff I have two windows open and am constantly going back and forth between the two and this was such a handy feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Um, this has been possible in OS X since... well, since I don't know when. What makes you think that you can not do this? Aside from being able to manually drag windows to whatever size you want, there are third party apps which will resize for you as well. In Snow Leopard I use "Size Up" and in Lion I use Divvy. The reason I'm using Divvy in Lion is because I got it for free (legally) and just wanted to try it. I like Size Up more.

Doug

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-10-31 at 1.48.06 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-10-31 at 1.48.06 PM.png
    589.1 KB · Views: 110
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Huh. I thought that you can do that with a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4
Well I have yet to receive my mac so I can't comment on how it works on mac but what he's referring to is in Windows 7, you can grab a window and drag it to the top corner of your screen (either side) and it will automatically be resized to fit half of the screen....do the same with the other half and you can then set up a perfect system for dragging files from one side to teh next. I was under the impression that this was one fo the things Windows 7 "stole/borrowed" from Mac OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
But OS X doesn't have the built in ability to automatically resize simply by moving a window to the top of the screen, right? I forget what this feature is called in Windows, but the OP means that when you drag the title bar of a window up towards the top of the screen, it automatically changes size to fit on exactly half of the screen, without dragging edges and corners to resize. A second window can be dragged up and resized to take up exactly the other half of the screen. When you drag the window by the title bar back down towards the middle of the screen, it automatically reverts to its original size.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Will not the utilities that Doug mentioned do what the OP wants?

OP
S
Reaction score
I bought the better snap tool in the app store for $1.99. It does exactly what I want.

Thanks Ivan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27'' 2011 i7
Thanks for the tips guys, as being a switcher myself the only thing that i missed from Windows was the snap function.. Bought Better Snap Tool in App Store, works great :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
While it would be nice to have this feature included natively, as you've seen, there are options.

5 Apps to Enhance Your Trackpad & Magic Mouse | Mac.AppStorm

Some free, some not.. but options nonetheless. It was easy for this option to be implemented as it was in Windows because, the way it stands, that "gesture" doesn't interfere with any other actions native to Win7. In OS X, when you have multiple virtual desktops opened, (via mission control) one of the ways in which you can move an open window to a different desktop is by dragging it to the right or left edge, the same way you'd activate "window snapping" in Win 7.

Doug

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
What I mainly miss from Windows is the delightful conversations I used to have with my computer. ;)

These usually started something like this: "You no good @#$%%**%!! . . ." and went down hill from there.

M

MacInWin

What I mainly miss from Windows is the delightful conversations I used to have with my computer. ;)

These usually started something like this: "You no good @#$%%**%!! . . ." and went down hill from there.
Mine used to start, "@#$%%**%!! Gates...."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.