Is admin always really admin?

Reaction score
I'm playing with an old iMac GE. I successfully upgraded it to Tiger, OS 10.4.11. It works fine, but I'm puzzled as to why I can not enable root user;
I also can not change permissions where I should be able to, since I am logged on as admin. If I go to <sytem preference> I see <ADMIN> by my log in name.

Why would I be locked out of enabling root user, even though I'm admin?

Thanks,
Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I have never used Tiger before, but I have used Leopard and later versions - isn't there a lock icon that you can click to unlock the preferences? And how are you going about enabling root user? Using terminal or?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I'm playing with an old iMac GE. I successfully upgraded it to Tiger, OS 10.4.11. It works fine, but I'm puzzled as to why I can not enable root user;
I also can not change permissions where I should be able to, since I am logged on as admin. If I go to <sytem preference> I see <ADMIN> by my log in name.

Why would I be locked out of enabling root user, even though I'm admin?

Thanks,
Tom

Root user has the power to remove anything admin does not was the way I
had it explained to me also if you don't know what you are doing it can leave you with a bricked unit.

OP
T
Reaction score
I have never used Tiger before, but I have used Leopard and later versions - isn't there a lock icon that you can click to unlock the preferences? And how are you going about enabling root user? Using terminal or?

Yes, there is a a lock icon. But when I unlock it, I still cant' enable root user.
The way I was trying to enable it was according the to the <HELP> pages in Tiger: Use netinfo manager, choose Security, Enable root user.

but i can't do that.

All of this stuff is because I just want to remove a comm lib file from a program I bought. But I can't remove it!

-I can't drag it to the trash (ERROR: You don't have access).
-I can't ENABLE access via File, Get Info, Read/write access
-I can't delete it using terminal window and rm /xxx/xxx/xx/ filename
-I cant' delete it using terminal window and sudo rm xxxx/xxxx/filename
-I can't enable root user.

Event tho' I am logged in as admin, and I can remove <most>files.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There should be little (if any) reason to need root privileges such that you need to login as the root user. This is why sudo is the preferred tool for elevating privileges. What do you need the root user for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
There should be little (if any) reason to need root privileges such that you need to login as the root user. This is why sudo is the preferred tool for elevating privileges. What do you need the root user for?

^
this bears repeating.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for advising me to steer clear of enabling root. I'm suitably chastened and will most certainly NOT do that. Too dangerous.

For anyone who's interested, I'll now explain why I'm trying to delete a certain file in a certain program.

The program is called JMRI. It's software that allows me to use a computer to run my prized German electric trains. (also can use my iPod Touch.)

In my train room, I have an old PC and an old iMac. The PC was running JMRI fine but developed internal problems. So I gave the iMac a try. The prgrm. will run on Mac, Win, or Linux.

But - there's a problem between my PowerPC processor and the comm library of JMRI. A known bug. So I have to delete some files from the program and download replacements. But I can't delete the files.

JMRI has wonderful people in its forum, just as this one does. And they've been trying to help. But they acknlowledge this is a rather odd problem, and I'm apparently the only on planet earth who's ever had it.

At any rate, it's not worth trashing my esteemed old iMac by messing around with root. Still,....... I wonder why it's not possible when it SHOULD be possible.

Thanks everybody.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
This program did it have an un-installer by chance?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What files do you need to delete? One of us can provide you with a sense of commands to do the job for you.

OP
T
Reaction score
What files do you need to delete? One of us can provide you with a sense of commands to do the job for you.

Many thanks for the kind offer. There are actually two files to delete:

lib/macosx/librxtxSerial.jnilib

lib/macosx/ppc/librxtxSerial.jnilib

Thanks again,
Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What error do you get when you sudo rm these?

and what's the output of ls -l of those files?

OP
T
Reaction score
What error do you get when you sudo rm these?

and what's the output of ls -l of those files?

when i sudo rm <file name>,
I'm prompted for my password, which I enter; then hit return, then get:

sudo: rm: command not found

When I type ls -l <filename>

I get
-rwxr-xr-x 1 mypasswd mypasswd 169488 Feb 20 2010 /Volumes/JMRI 2.10/JMRI/lib/macosx/librxtxSerial.jnilib

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rm, command not found?

do a

which rm

and a
sudo which rm

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sudo: rm: command not found
Yeah, that's not normal. 'rm' is part of the coreutils package (or whatever Apple calls it - I just assume they're using GNU coreutils) and is installed by default. If 'rm' has gone missing, we might be able to reinstall it.

OP
T
Reaction score
This program did it have an un-installer by chance?

Hi, thanks for your reply. The program doesn't have an un-installer. BTW-I've apparently got the program in a disk image rather than in the applications folder. so i have to fix that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Well maybe you have to talk to the people you got it from and see if there is a password you have to use.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well maybe you have to talk to the people you got it from and see if there is a password you have to use.
That's not the problem. The problem here has to do with the bash prompt (Terminal).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.