Printer problem

Reaction score
Hi folks, hope i am In the right forum, my little problem Is that I am changing from windows xp to mac, I have got a epson RX420 printer connected to my p bell computer connected by usb upstairs In a spare bedroom and my new mac dowstairs In my living room, the printer Is working fine and I cant afford to get a new one just yet, but a friend told me I should be able to print wirelessly from my mac (he didn't know how to set It up) so I wonder If you folks can tell me First Is It possible , and secondly In the simpliest way possible how to go about doing It. Tercol

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As far as I can tell, the Epson RX420 is not a wireless capable printer. You will need a direct connection to it via a USB cable. Also, it may not be compatible with your Mac. It depends on which version of OS X you'll be running.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've seen at least one report of this printer working wirelessly when connected to a Time Capsule. I assume it would also work with other similar devices. This assumes that appropriate drivers are available for your version of the OS.

There are a few potential problems with printing over a wireless network with printers that were not designed to be used that way:

1. The utility that monitors ink levels and other status functions may not work accurately if at all.

2. With multifunction printers scanning may or may not work appropriately when connected to devices such as the Time Capsule.

3. The cost of a Time Capsule/similar device maybe more expensive than the cost of a new printer -- particularly if it is a second printer that does not need to be top of the line.

OP
T
Reaction score
many thanks for the responses, I guess I will just have to save up and get a new printer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.