Haters?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Is anyone here a PC hater?

Just asking, because this is a Mac forum. And thought that if there were any PC haters, that they will be here.

I, personally, and getting away from the PC, and am buying a iMac, because I never owned one.

And yes. I am talking about all PC. Linux, Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I use one at work and home if your referring to Windows and I have been using Linux
a little but my go to computer are the Mac's at home and work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not I with my little Dell Latitude laptop!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Can't say that I hate them, but unless things change dramatically, doubt if I will ever willingly own one again.

I'm not a gamer, so the only way I'd spend money on a PC was if:

1) Apple goes seriously down hill
2) Windows really improves (and no, I don't think Win 7 is there yet)
3) Apple decides to license the OS for use on PCs (don't hold your breath)
4) Linux seriously improves. Ubuntu is fun to play with, but not an OS that I want to live with day in and day out

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is anyone here a PC hater?

Just asking, because this is a Mac forum. And thought that if there were any PC haters, that they will be here.

I, personally, and getting away from the PC, and am buying a iMac, because I never owned one.

Many of us "Mac Users" here at Mac-Forums take a fairly mature approach to "Mac's vs. Windows"...and realize that each has their strengths...and weaknesses.

But I'm sure there are folks here that downright hate Windows computers...and there are those that use Mac's & Windows computers on a daily basis...and like both platforms.

FYI..."PC" stands for "Personal Computer"...so both Windows computers & Macintosh's are "PC's". But yes...I do know that "PC" is generally the term used to refer to just about any Windows-based computer.;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I don't mind good PC's, just windows sometimes upsets me. I own a lot of PCs and a lot of Macs. My gaming system is a PC. One Laptop of mine is an AMD 64 Bit with Windows 7. Windows 7 is probably the finest Windows in history.

I just much prefer OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Why hate? Most of the time (IMO) it's the user that can't come to terms with how to properly utilize the OS. Though I will say that Windows does require far more maintenance than OS X. Heck, that's an understatement actually! But hate? Nah. Should MS ever decide to rewrite the code for Windows from the ground up at some point, I'll absolutely give them another chance. I mean come on, technology in general is a great thing to watch progress and play with. Why limit yourself by imposing a superficial adjective upon an inanimate thing?

And here's a secret for you: I thought I hated OS X when I started using it. Why? Because I felt that it should have behaved like the Linux box I was running for the 4 years after having left Windows. Go figure!

doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I think Windows is a pain compared to OSX, but I don't "hate" it. I have it installed on my Mac for when I need to tutor or troubleshoot with PC users. But I never use it myself.

Mac users tend not to have the irrational hatred towards Windows that Windows users have towards OS X. In any debate about it, it's almost always Windows users who start flaming out of nowhere... "Apple sucks", "Mac users are babies who don't know how to use computers", etc etc. And usually those people have the least real experience with OS X. Mac users are either defending their preference, or just sitting back and enjoying their computer experience while others rage on about it, which makes them seem "smug".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I really despise Windows XP when I have to use it after a couple of years using OSX 10.5+

Using Windows 7 isn't bad, I just don't own any computers with anything new than XP.

Reaction score
It's 2011, we are deep into the Information Age. If someone is still "hating" on a particular platform, they are either (a) not employed in the Information Technology field, (b) woefully ignorant, and/or (c) an immature child.

Every OS, every hardware platform, every phone, every tablet, every iPod Nano has a purpose. In the most cynical way, that purpose could simply be "the thing is so broken they pay me to keep them running" which has been the case for me a few times in my career and I don't "hate" on anything for that.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If we're talking all PCs here, you need to include Macs in that list.

Many of us "Mac Users" here at Mac-Forums take a fairly mature approach to "Mac's vs. Windows"...and realize that each has their strengths...and weaknesses.
Couldn't agree more. Many of us recognize that nothing is perfect nor will it ever be the case. Windows and Linux both have their ups and downs (there are even bits of the BSDs that I love and hate) so it's best not to worry about what's perfect and instead focus on what works for you.

Why do we need to find all the "PC haters"? Seems utterly useless and inflammatory to do so.

jif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac i5 (2010)  iPad2  iPhone5  iPhone 4S  Apple TV2  iP
I don't work in IT and therefore have no knowledge of the inner workings of OSX, vista, win7 etc.

I've been a windows user for years, and switched to an iMac in April this year. All I can say from a 'user's' point of view is that I just love the seamless integration that OSX offers, I love how it all fits together and works together. The mac opens more files and seems more open minded than its windows counterpart, but maybe this is because it has to as it has a smaller share of the market

I'm still learning my way round the mac, but I love it, i feel safer with it, and I wouldn't go back

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If we're talking all PCs here, you need to include Macs in that list.

VERY VERY true my friend! :D Grin

Couldn't agree more. Many of us recognize that nothing is perfect nor will it ever be the case. Windows and Linux both have their ups and downs (there are even bits of the BSDs that I love and hate) so it's best not to worry about what's perfect and instead focus on what works for you.

Why do we need to find all the "PC haters"? Seems utterly useless and inflammatory to do so.

I really strongly dislike Steve Balmer. Watch a few videos of his and you will see why! :D

I also do not appreciate gates ripping off many things like say DOS from Gary Killdall and DRI, but Microsoft has made some good products also and I like those.

And yes, it's stupid to hate a computer. Put Linux on it if Windows upsets you! :D I bet Van will like that statement!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
And yes, it's stupid to hate a computer. Put Linux on it if Windows upsets you! :D I bet Van will like that statement!
Always. The more things you can put *nix on, the better. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
What a strange threader, 30 posts on a Mac forum, a PC user wanting to know about PC haters but buying a Mac because you never owned one?

Hasta la Vista (pardon the pun).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
WE are not PC haters here, just people who generally prefer to use macs.

Myself, I use XP and Linux as well, but find that OSX just gives me a more pleasant hassle free computing experience.

The technical merits aside, I simply find Macs and OSX a pleasant experience, so its partially an emotional thing - I am just happier with a Mac than a Windows PC and am prepared to pay a little more to save myself bother and expense in the long term.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Here at Mac-forums we are very open minded. Everyone has unique computing needs and we understand that Mac OS X is not for everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 6-core 2.66 GHz Xeon, dual ATI 5770 HD
An interesting thread for my first post.

I'm a long time Microsoft user:
  • ms-dos
  • windows (98, 2000, xp, Vista, 7)
and a long time Microsoft app user: Money 95, Money 98, Money 2000, ...., Office 95, 98, 2000, ....

and I'm a fairly "sophisticated" user (PhD in Computer Science, designed and developed computer hardware, software, etc., through my whole career. Unix, VM/CMS, MVS, you name it.

So why am I here?

As mentioned above, I was a long time Microsoft Money user. I dutifully bought each version and upgrade. When Microsoft started charging for internet access within Money I grumbled but ponied up. When I had to renew that every year or so, I grumbled but paid.

Then, Microsoft decided to EOL Money. As part of this support for internet access within Money would stop working! That's right, a feature that I'd paid for would cease to function.

Microsoft could easily have said "we're not supporting it anymore, use at your own risk" and it wouldn't have cost them a dime. But no, they didn't do that.

I had years of financial data on Money (cost basis information on stock and mutual fund purchases, credit card purchase history, etc.,) that was essentially useless. Sure, I could manually update everything but why should I? I paid Microsoft time and again for the ability to automatically download account information.

I swore that I would never buy another product from Microsoft.

My computer, running Windows 7, died recently (bad motherboard).

I'm typing this on an old XP machine I got out of the closet while I'm waiting for my Mac to be delivered. It may turn out that Apple is even more draconian than Microsoft but that (as far as I'm concerned) remains to be seen.

So I guess I'm a "hater".

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Welcome and hope you enjoy your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 6-core 2.66 GHz Xeon, dual ATI 5770 HD
Welcome and hope you enjoy your Mac.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it. I actually did a little development on the Mach kernel years ago and also worked with Steve Jobs and Avi Tevanian briefly during the Next days so in a sense I'm not "new" but it's been years since I've used a Mac so I'm looking forward to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.