• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can I do a 720 crop out of a 1080 film?

Reaction score
Hi.
We have some different film material from the same scene - filmet with both a HVX-200 (1080p) and a Nikon D3s (720P).

Question:
Is there a way in Final Cut Pro to make a 720 frame selection, of the 1080 clips?

Not just resizing the 1080 clips to 720, but a 720-selection out of the 1080 footage.

Anyone who knows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You can re-encode the clips to 720P, that I am certain of, but I don't know if it's possible in FC.

Reaction score
Usually cropping is done in the encoding process. You can also create a 720P sequence and copy/paste the 1080 footage into it, then encode.

OP
T
Reaction score
Usually cropping is done in the encoding process. You can also create a 720P sequence and copy/paste the 1080 footage into it, then encode.

Hi. As I said, I don't want to just resize the 1080 clips to 720, but to select a 720 sized frame out of the 1080 footage.

Reaction score
You can put a 1080 clip in a 720 sequence and choose to not scale it. Check out your preferences and uncheck "Always scale clips to sequence size". This will create a "center cut" version of your sequence.

OP
T
Reaction score
You can put a 1080 clip in a 720 sequence and choose to not scale it. Check out your preferences and uncheck "Always scale clips to sequence size". This will create a "center cut" version of your sequence.

Thank you very much for your answear. That helped alot.
Is it only possible to create a center cut, or is is also possible to create a cut/crop out of anywhere in the 1080 frame?

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your answear. That helped alot.
Is it only possible to create a center cut, or is is also possible to create a cut/crop out of anywhere in the 1080 frame?
Center cut, by default. However, you can move the clip's wireframe to reposition it within the frame. This technique should work in any NLE.

Reaction score
I tried to do this but my 1080p clip automatically resizes in the 720p sequence even with the 'scale clips to sequence' option deselected.

Anyone know what to do?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.