Please help me with my new keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27"12.2.1 Monterey.1phone 13, iwatch,ipad air
I have just purchased a new Apple aluminum keyboard MB110LL/B ( Model A1243) and followed the instructions to download the installation but when I clicked on System Updates, it says that there is nothing new to update. I restarted my imac and still no luck. I am unable to get the volume keys and other functions working as I would expect.

I am running OSX 10.5.8. PLEASE HELP

I really need my f keys to work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As far as I'm aware there are no downloads for the Aluminum keyboard. The early models required a firmware update to work correctly with Leopard but if you just purchased one, it does not need a firmware update.

Did you try opening System Preferences, Keyboard, and click on restore defaults for all options? If that doesn't work it's possible you may have a defective keyboard. Also, you never mentioned which Mac you have.

OP
royalpei
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as I'm aware there are no downloads for the Aluminum keyboard. The early models required a firmware update to work correctly with Leopard but if you just purchased one, it does not need a firmware update.

Did you try opening System Preferences, Keyboard, and click on restore defaults for all options? If that doesn't work it's possible you may have a defective keyboard. Also, you never mentioned which Mac you have.

I have been through everything on my key board settings on system preferences. None of my f keys work at all. Default still on.

All of my computer info is on my avatar, I didnt think I needed to list it again?

Someone else was asking this exact same question, exact same key board.
No answer for him at all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks like I missed your Mac info, however, there still is a possibility the keyboard is defective. Someone not long ago reported the same thing as you and it was resolved by returning the keyboard for another. Unless you're running some third party software that's preventing the keyboard from operating properly, I can't think of anything else that would cause it.

OP
royalpei
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It looks like I missed your Mac info, however, there still is a possibility the keyboard is defective. Someone not long ago reported the same thing as you and it was resolved by returning the keyboard for another. Unless you're running some third party software that's preventing the keyboard from operating properly, I can't think of anything else that would cause it.

Thank you, I will take it back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Did they like give you a disc to use it for? Sometimes that will happen with a keyboard.

OP
royalpei
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you, I will take it back.

UPDATE:

I had bought a brand new one and none of my f keys worked.
I was told on here it was defective and to take it back.
The truth is the NEW keyboards only work with LION.
I have Leopard so it does not function right.
ALL of the keyboards in my IMAC store are the new ones.
They went on line and searched for the older model I need # A1243, one store in Seattle had one and they are sending it down to Portland.
I got a loaner from the store and they kept my new one.
RIDICULOUS that with an OS system upgrade the keyboard no longer functions correctly.

I just noticed the model # is the same A1243

OP
royalpei
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE:

I had bought a brand new one and none of my f keys worked.
I was told on here it was defective and to take it back.
The truth is the NEW keyboards only work with LION.
I have Leopard so it does not function right.
ALL of the keyboards in my IMAC store are the new ones.
They went on line and searched for the older model I need # A1243, one store in Seattle had one and they are sending it down to Portland.
I got a loaner from the store and they kept my new one.
RIDICULOUS that with an OS system upgrade the keyboard no longer functions correctly.

I just noticed the model # is the same A1243

Had the new one for a week now, works perfect. All of my top row keys are as they should be.
Love my volume keys and my screen capture keys, plus all keyboard shortcuts allow me to program.
The new one will be great with Lion, but does not function with Leopard.
I hope this helps someone else as I could not find my answer here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting enough.... I was just in Best Buy several days ago and noticed that the system requirements on the box for the Aluminum wired keyboard say for Leopard 10.6.8 and Lion only. And yes, the model number is the same. Also the same requirements are listed for the Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse.

I think Apple is trying to tell us something. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.