bootable hard drive

Reaction score
I have an ibook g4 and I've replaced the hard drive. ran disk utility to copy the info from the old drive (which i put into an external usb case) to the internal drive. it copied fine, but the hard drive won't boot up. help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to use a program that will clone the information from the original drive to the new drive. SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner can be used. (make sure you download a version compatible with your version of OS X)

In other words, leave the original drive in place, put the new drive in the USB carrier, clone the old to the new. After the cloning process is finished, swap the new drive in place of the old one.

Also note that with a G4 machine you can not boot from an external drive that's connected via USB as it requires firewire.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.