Moving files from PC to MAC

Reaction score
Ok how do I do this? I have a bunch of pdf docs and bookmarks and nearly a terrabyte of photos on my pc and a external pc hard drive. How do I move them over to my Mac?
Michelle

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Ok how do I do this? I have a bunch of pdf docs and bookmarks and nearly a terrabyte of photos on my pc and a external pc hard drive. How do I move them over to my Mac?
Michelle

OS X Lion: About Windows Migration Assistant

Anything else that doesn't copy over the way you want, you can put on the external drive. Your Mac can read the drive (assuming NTSF format) but not write to it. If it's FAT32 you will be able to read and write to it.
There are third party software packages that give your Mac read and write capability for NTSF, but I can't see messing with them unless you plan on maintaining both PC and Mac systems.

Reaction score
Use your Mac to formatt a drive to fat32. Then hook the drive to your PC add all your files then plug it back into your Mac. That's what I did. You can format the drive to fat32 with your PC but there are some limitations so I recommend doing it with your Mac..

Razormac way is probably better but just telling you when I switched this is what I did

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4
Here's another article that may be useful. I'm planning to hook up my laptop to the imac through an ethernet cable and transfer things that way. My only conern is transferring files though. If you're need are more extensive, like email accounts and stuff like that then you're probably better off going with the migration assistant.

Switch 101: Migrate your Windows files or system to your Mac

EDIT - Looks like the migration system is pretty helpful too since it'll get all your downloaded apps over from itunes....I hadn't accounted for that. I think we're in the same boat. I just switched to imac. I haven't received the imac yet (just shipped) but I'm planning on how to make the switch over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.