iTunes (vastly) inferior to WinAmp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
Hello,

There's one very, very basic feature in WinAmp that I seriously miss in iTunes. So seriously that I don't use iTunes to listen to music at all. Or am I wrong?

Here we go:

Imagine I want to listen to, say, ten songs by ten different singers/bands. In WinAmp, I search for these songs using the search field and drag the songs to the pane on the right (songs that are in a queue waiting to be played). I then press play and start listening. Whenever I feel the need to, I can add new songs to the queue or reorder the songs in the queue.

Now what should I do in iTunes when it can't do such a basic thing? Or can it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Create a playlist?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
Create a playlist?

Since I spend at least about 2 hours a day listening to music, I would have to create dozens of playlist a day (which would translate to hundreds of playlists a week) but still, I wouldn't get close to the above mentioned functionality and flexibility of the queue in WinAmp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Why would you have to create dozens?

Just create one, and then add or remove songs from it as you see fit.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why would you have to create dozens?

Just create one, and then add or remove songs from it as you see fit.

Yes, I get the point. Just created a playlist called "Queue" to simulate the WinAmp function. Still, I don't think that's how Apple intended iTunes to be used. ;)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Yes, I get the point. Just created a playlist called "Queue" to simulate the WinAmp function. Still, I don't think that's how Apple intended iTunes to be used. ;)

I don't think Apple set out to copy WinAmp.

I think what Chuckoir has suggested will work in exactly the same way you've described.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Imagine I want to listen to, say, ten songs by ten different singers/bands. In WinAmp, I search for these songs using the search field and drag the songs to the pane on the right (songs that are in a queue waiting to be played). I then press play and start listening. Whenever I feel the need to, I can add new songs to the queue or reorder the songs in the queue.

Now what should I do in iTunes when it can't do such a basic thing? Or can it?

It can. Under Playlists, see the one call "iTunes DJ"? Click on it. You'll see a list of songs in queue to be played, pull randomly from your music library. Now, click on the Settings button in the lower right corner. Select the number of upcoming songs to 0. Now you can drag whichever songs you want into the iTunes DJ playlist and have them play in that order. You can even add songs by right-clicking on them and selecting "Play Next in iTunes DJ" or "Add to iTunes DJ".

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.