Attempting to upgrade my hard drive

Reaction score
Hi I've tried to upgrade my Macbook Pro's internal hard drive which is 160GB (Hitachi) to 750GB (Western Digital). I'm having issues cloning the existing drive as I've tried using Super Duper and Carbon Copy Cloner.
Both appear to work perfectly and allow me to boot using an Iomax USB 2.0 adapter (to see if it works). However once I replace the hard drive it will not work at all and the question mark folder appears.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
Are you sure you are reconnecting the Sata Connector properly. OWc has some pretty good free videos on replacing a hard drive. I would suspect it must be something with the connector as that is the only difference with your drive in the two scenarios.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi I've tried that and the old hard drive works fine every time I reconnect it. Do you think I should take it into an Apple Shop to see what they think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe someone with more knowledge could chime in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 2011 iMac // 12GB RAM // 1TB HDD // 6770MB 512
Hi I've tried to upgrade my Macbook Pro's internal hard drive which is 160GB (Hitachi) to 750GB (Western Digital). I'm having issues cloning the existing drive as I've tried using Super Duper and Carbon Copy Cloner.
Both appear to work perfectly and allow me to boot using an Iomax USB 2.0 adapter (to see if it works). However once I replace the hard drive it will not work at all and the question mark folder appears.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong so any help would be greatly appreciated.

So it boots fine from the USB adapter.. when you put the new drive in the laptop, what comes up when you hold option? Does it show the drive?

OP
J
Reaction score
I've restarted the laptop with the new hard drive connected via the adapter and holding option I have a choice of the two and it runs fine.
With the new hard drive inside I only get the Question Mark Folder.
With the older hard drive inside it boots up fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I would just get an extournal HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 2011 iMac // 12GB RAM // 1TB HDD // 6770MB 512
I've restarted the laptop with the new hard drive connected via the adapter and holding option I have a choice of the two and it runs fine.
With the new hard drive inside I only get the Question Mark Folder.
With the older hard drive inside it boots up fine.

This is strange. Logic tells me that if you can boot it off of USB then the drive is bootable. However maybe that specific drive is not compatible internally? What is the exact make/model of the drive and your laptop?

OP
J
Reaction score
I know it's not making it easy sorry about that. The hard drive is:
Western Digital WD7500BPVT Scorpio Blue / 750GB / 2.5 inch Internal SATA Hard Drive
And the Computer is:
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) 13.3"/2.53/2X1GB/160-5400.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a real shot in the dark. Is there a jumper on the back of the drive? If there is, see if there is a setting for SATA1, and jumper it that way. If it is already set that way, try removing it. I noticed on a google search that 1n 2009 there was a bunch of issues with Western Digital Scorpio drives, but that is old history by now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Whenever you change the drive in a laptop, make sure you also get new SATA cables as the heat does make them brittle and liable to fracture.

OP
J
Reaction score
I thought that might be the case except that the original drive works fine when I put it back in. I've looked around and can't seem to find anything about incompatibility issues between the two.

OP
J
Reaction score
This is a real shot in the dark. Is there a jumper on the back of the drive? If there is, see if there is a setting for SATA1, and jumper it that way. If it is already set that way, try removing it. I noticed on a google search that 1n 2009 there was a bunch of issues with Western Digital Scorpio drives, but that is old history by now.

Hi there's nothing like that. This is the model
Western Digital WD7500BPVT Scorpio Blue / 750GB / 2.5 inch Internal SATA Hard Drive

Can't see why it won't work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.