Hello all! New here, first time question

Reaction score
I've been a mac user for a while now, starting with my tower g4. Coming to you now from macbook pro.

My question to test out the community, and help myself as it were, is this:

I am running microsoft word 2011 on my mac. Looking for a word (or word guru) on mac running 10.5.8

I copy and paste text from the internet into my standard document in microsoft word. My hand written text has a certain spacing type, while my web pasted text has a different spacing type in terms of distance between new lines. It is not the average double spacing or single spacing difference.

How can I select all and format all the text in the document to have identical vertical spacing? I'm not sure of the name of it, but if tracking is the left to right spacing of letters, this would be the vertical version of that. Web paste words are farther apart than hand typed words.

This may be a simple question but I find word itself harder than mac most times, and finding good word help for mac is even more difficult.

Thanks all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
While I don't know the answer to your question at the moment, I do have something that may be helpful in the future.

When copying from one source and pasting to another, instead of just selecting paste you can select paste to match style and it will match the font and everything.

Aloha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Good suggestion ^

You might not get many more with such a generic thread title. Some people skip over those. Imagine if everyone used "I have a question". Much better to spell out the nature of your inquiry. "Word vertical spacing question" for example...

M

MacInWin

My experience with Word is that if the text is set for single spacing and one character in the line is above or below the standard line, the spacing for the entire line either above or below will adjust to make room for the extension, up to some font size limit. So I'd suggest you set the line spacing to something larger than 1 and see if that gets it all to be standard, then you can shrink the spacing in small increments until the irregular spacing shows up and back off until it just disappears.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ah I will have to give that paste to match style a shot for the future. Is that just a right click feature or do I need to pull down a menu for that?

As for the spacing suggestion, I always get confused I guess as to where to find the line spacing that is relevant to what I am looking for. There are so many different window panes in word that have little tabs to adjust such things, I was hoping for a work smarter not harder way to do it, but will certainly manual if I must. Def not a huge pain at any rate.

And as for the thread title, I agree, thank you! I will do so in the future. If these answers don't do the trick I will repost with a new title to bump

Thanks all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Try this...
Highlight the affected text. Click on Format, Paragraph and check the spacing opions (before and after) - half way down window on left hand side. If set to anything other than '0' (even blank), enter '0'. Else check the line spacing icon (the one with five lines and a double headed arrow. Check if the line spacing is 1.15.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Just let a staff member know if you'd like the title changed - rather than posting a new thread. It's no problem.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you!

That did the trick. Selecting all and adjusting above 1 and adjusting back worked like a charm. Victory! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.