Why is apple Turning it's back on the Audio Community?

Reaction score
So I know some of you guys may not like this, and I only have a few posts so you think I am a troll but… Apple is really starting to turn its back on the Audio Industry.

First they start to charge 200 dollars per incident tech support after the warranty period with Logic, and now the new G5 machines will not be compatible with Pro Tools HD?

I am starting to believe Apple has giving up on the Audio Industry.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Where does it say that Pro Tools HD will not run with the new G5 machines? Could you give a URL?

Edit, Found this. Is this what you are talking about? If so it's being fixed and there are new Power Macs released today.

Compatibility Alert
A compatibility problem with Pro Tools|HD and the Power Mac G5 2.3GHz and 2.7GHz models has been reported by some customers where the third card of a Pro Tools|HD or Pro Tools|HD Accel system may sometimes not be recognized, and a "flex cable error" is posted. This problem can usually be resolved by rebooting the computer. Digidesign is currently investigating the problem.

OP
M
Reaction score
dtravis7 said:
Where does it say that Pro Tools HD will not run with the new G5 machines? Could you give a URL?

Pro Tools HD runs off of PCI slots, the new G5 computers only have PCI-E.

The real problem is Digidesign has been slowly moving towards PC. There are now about 10 companies making DAW's for PC, including one that worked hand in hand with Digidesign.

http://www.digidesign.com/news/details.cfm?story_id=3355

And some other PC DAW builders:

http://www.carillonusa.com/clnweb/index.jsp?country=UK

http://www.sweetwater.com/creation_station/

http://www.adkproaudio.com/

and many more!

Things are just not looking good.

- Mikey M

OP
M
Reaction score
dtravis7 said:
Compatibility Alert
A compatibility problem with Pro Tools|HD and the Power Mac G5 2.3GHz and 2.7GHz models has been reported by some customers where the third card of a Pro Tools|HD or Pro Tools|HD Accel system may sometimes not be recognized, and a "flex cable error" is posted. This problem can usually be resolved by rebooting the computer. Digidesign is currently investigating the problem.

Nope, thats a whole different issue.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The PowerMac with the PCI-X slots are still available.

OP
M
Reaction score
rman said:
The PowerMac with the PCI-X slots are still available.

Do you think it will be available for the long term? Or is until they run out of the old stock?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Good question :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I'm sure they've made arrangements with Digidesign to get them to adopt PCI-X soon enough.

OP
M
Reaction score
Meyvn said:
I'm sure they've made arrangements with Digidesign to get them to adopt PCI-X soon enough.

That's only part of the problem. At this piont every Pro Tools TDM owner has to trade in their HD cards for new ones when they upgrade thier machines. This could be a 20,000 dollar hit for some people.

One thing the PC comunity does do well is backward compatabilty. New PC machines have both PCI and PCI-E, to bad Apple didnt do the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Hardware backward compatibility is also one of the biggest weaknesses in a PC system...the OS has to support everything available on the market, therefore can never be as stable as a closed system.

Of course it is always a risk to inovate and leave old baggage behind, but if you don't take any risks, you won't get any further in your development. Apple has always been like that, and yet they still exist.

Concerning the fact that even recording studios don't update their hardware everytime a new model is released, it is not such a general big issue. Even by the time Digidesign will have a PCIe-card available (which they certainly are working hard on), there will still be old G4s doing good work in the studios.

So nothing to worry about... :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
MikeyM said:
That's only part of the problem. At this piont every Pro Tools TDM owner has to trade in their HD cards for new ones when they upgrade thier machines. This could be a 20,000 dollar hit for some people.

Most professionals I know don't upgrade their systems and then keep the old cards. They wait to purchase an entirely new system when most (or all) of the components have been significantly updated. If you were to upgrade to a new G5 now as a result of these updates, even if it DID currently support Pro Tools HD properly, this would not be a particularly prudent or money-efficient investment.

OP
M
Reaction score
Meyvn said:
Most professionals I know don't upgrade their systems and then keep the old cards. They wait to purchase an entirely new system when most (or all) of the components have been significantly updated. If you were to upgrade to a new G5 now as a result of these updates, even if it DID currently support Pro Tools HD properly, this would not be a particularly prudent or money-efficient investment.

Not really, pro sound cards range from 700 dollars for a good RME ADAT card to 15,000 and up for Pro Tools. Alot of guys will upgrade thier machines, but keep the old systems. I know of a bunch of guys with a Mix Plus system in a G5.

* Just found this while typing this post *

http://www.digidesign.com/news/details.cfm?story_id=3828

Good News!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.