Migration Assistant of manual?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
So my father gave me his 2007 mbp with terabyte external. He used his SL disk and just wiped the drive and installed it. He also installed Office. He told me to just run Migration Assistant to transfer from my Mini when I got home…

I have it home now, but when I did the transfer it told me I had to rename my account (Is this how MA works or should I have transferred before making accounts?). So I erased the account and tried MA again and altho it didn't tell me to rename, it still created a new account. How do I get my Mail etc over to my main MBP account so that I don’t have to re-enter all my info? I do have my own SL disk.. I don’t have the original Leopard CD for the MBP. I have time machine backups for both (on separate externals.) and I don't want to lose Office if I can help it.

Would it be easiest to just do the transfer by hand or start over (wipe the drive and use my own SL DVD). As it is now my main account from my mini is on the MBP as a separate account (but still on my mini as well). I also want to transfer my music and photo libraries from my mini external BUHD to my MBP BUHD. I have no problem doing this by hand if needed, I just don’t have enough knowledge of the filing system..

Thanks in Advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You can pick and choose what you want with Time Machine then click on restore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.