multiple displays

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have a question and I think I know that answer. If I'm right, I'm pretty disappointed about this.

I have an MBA 13 and a Dell U2410 (24 inch IPS display).

I just bought a BT keyboard, mouse and a display port to HDMI converter.

What I WANT to do is the option to run my MAC exclusively on the Dell display at FULL NATIVE resolution which is 1920*1200.

Instead what I see are native options for what Windows calls Extended Desktop and another for a screen clone.

Screen clone (Mirror) is "sort of" what I'm looking for, but not really since the Dell monitor is forced to interpolate downwards to 1440*900 instead if being run at the Dell full native resolution.

Again, I want the option to be able to use the Dell "as if" the Mac were a desktop device at the full native resolution of the Dell monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Check out SwitchResX and see if it'll do what you're looking for. It's got a 10 day free trial, and if you like it, I think it's less than $20.

OP
T
Reaction score
thanks, I just took a quick look and not quite sure it will do what I want.

I have to admit, I'm disappointed so far. I have a Windows XP notebook form work that does this all the time with no problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe if you run the MBA in clamshell mode your Dell will display the full native resolution. Give it a try. You will, however, need an external keyboard and mouse to do it. See the following Apple LINK.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yeap. That was the ticket - Clam-shell mode.

Typing this message on the Apple keyboard i just bought today. Screen is 1920*1200.

Color and overall quality is garbage, but I'm 99% sure the store sold me a garbage adapter today, which will go back soon enough.

...thanks, you guys rock!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.