• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie, iDVD, Toast and HD Video

Reaction score
Hi there
I have recently bought an external blu ray drive with the hope of burning some HD videos from my mac.
Having had a look over Toast, I much prefer iDVD for the creation of menus and so on. Having exported movies from iMovie in 1080p format, I would like to add these to an iDVD project that, sizewise, will exceed a DVD capacity.
My question is though, will iDVD still allow me to create an image file in HD format which I can then burn to blu ray, or is iDVD stuck on only being able to deal with stuff that'll fit on a DVD (single or dual layer)? Does the process of creating an image file circumnavigate the fact that iDVD can't burn to blu ray, and I can then burn the image file to blue ray separately?
Many thanks
Matt

OP
T
Reaction score
Oh, and although I'm not so keen on the Toast menus and all that, I'm planning on using it to write the blu ray discs (pro version)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
iDVD will only produce standard resolution DVDs. If you want HD, you'll need to use Toast. I have to agree about Toast's menus. For something costing what it does, I would have thought that they would be a bit better.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. That's a shame as other than the crappy menus it looked like toast was gonna give me what I was after. They could really do with sorting those out. The product has "pro" in the title! :)
Is there anything else that would allow me to use stuff from iMovie with the kind of menus iDVD creates and write it all to blu ray? Will final cut do this kind of thing (cutting iMovie out of the loop completely) or does that also need iDVD/toast/a.n.other to actually create the final physical item?
Seems bizarre that iMovie can share 1080p to iDVD yet not it to be used sufficiently to create a full hd disc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Will final cut do this kind of thing
I believe so, but I'm not sure as I'm not into HD yet. Also I still think that you may need an external burner.

OP
T
Reaction score
yep - got an external burner. Currently doing some testing. Had a very quick read up on FCP but not in enough depth yet. Need to decide what to do whilst I have some money burning a hole in my pocket :)

Reaction score
iDVD Issue

Hey!

I'm trying to burn a 7GB .mov using iDVD.

When I add the file to the project, it claims the project is only 1.2GB.

What's going on?!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.