macpro 2010 mini dp flashes

Reaction score
hi guys new to the site,
I am currently using a macbook pro 2010 and when I plug my mini dp - hdmi cable in the screen only flashes blue and then doesn't do anything else.

I have researched into it and I have tried deleting my user preferences to restore it in case I have had the settings mirrored or something silly like that.

will i need to take it back to the apple store and book an appointmet? my nearest store is 200 miles away :\

OP
D
Reaction score
i have looked into this further and i am still puzzled,
just to clarify it worked perfectly fine before lol

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1st - disconnect and reconnect it

Then look at the end of the cable and make sure everything looks ok.

Then try a SMC reset

Then try another TV

Then try a different cable.

Then try the different cable on another TV

If none of that works, then it "might" be time to drive 200 miles or at least call Apple.
I'd definitely do all of the above before I even considered driving 200 miles to find out I had a bad cable..

OP
D
Reaction score
booked in for this wednesday, oh joy :lol: at least they are friendly enough.

would anyone recomend a way to speed up my mac, its becoming very slow as of late. i was also considering upgrading my hard drive. would a 1tb be a good investment? i do alot of video editing and music editing.

Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Disk Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

and if i were to buy that i presume i cant just plug it in and expect it to work as the hard drive has the OS on it?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You cannot put a 3.5" hard drive in your notebook. Notebooks use 2.5" drives.

How full is your drive? e.g. what size is it and how much free space do you have?
When's the last time you did any maintenance on it with, for example, Onyx?

So, you did try a SMC reset and a different cable before booking this appointment 200 miles away?

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah tried the smc reset as far as i could see, it just restarted up to the apple logo again and again.
i have 16.6 gb left so not much space left in there
my hard drive is 250 gb but i use a lot of .wav files (radio producing)

OP
D
Reaction score
sorry forgot to add i tried another cable and the screen just turns blue then back again, no change

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah tried the smc reset as far as i could see, it just restarted up to the apple logo again and again.

That sound more like a PRAM reset and not a SMC reset - go here.

i have 16.6 gb left so not much space left in there
my hard drive is 250 gb but i use a lot of .wav files (radio producing)

With less than 7% free space, I'd be surprised if you haven't been experiencing the beach ball for quite some time now. Definitely time for a new larger drive. I would suggest you immediately make a backup if you don't already have one. And delete as much stuff as you can while waiting for the new drive. Try to get up above 15% free space. You're also a candidate for a defrag on that drive - but not while it's under 10% free space.

OP
D
Reaction score
yeah i have a backup on an external drive, what internal drive would you recommend?
will see if the PRAM reset works when i get home

OP
D
Reaction score
ok, so the pram reset seemed to do something as it took a little longer on the blue screen but still ended up with no signal on tv....

OP
D
Reaction score
took it back and it turns out the cable i had wasn't working, and the cable my friend had wasn't compatible!
while it was there they replaced my battery, really pleased with the service actually, i'm very happy about it. the guy told me to make sure the dimensions of my new hard drive will fit and that they will upload my os for me onto it! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.