• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

mts/mpg files - again!

Reaction score
Hi All ,

I'm a bit stuck with my mpg/MTS files.

I saved all my 'raw' footage to an external drive to free up space on my camera. I am now trying in import to imovie events.

I know that imovie does not support this format. I have tried the following and it still doesn't work.

1/ FFmpegx
2/ Streamclip (with £15 add-on)
3/ Trying to copy files back to the camera (canon HF10)
4/ renaming the files
5/ trying to create a camera ' copy' on my desk top for imovie to navigate to.

All the above does not work.

I have found the following and wonder if this is the way to go?

https://www.regnow.com/checkout/cart...39CB6HC-AHWD62

any ideas? HELP!

edit: I just noticed that Lion supports MPEG-2 if I upgrade from snow Lep. will that take care of the problem. (bit ****** as only brought the computer last month and din't get the free upgrade within 30 days.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Are you attempting to use the actual mts files from within the stream folder in the AVCHD hierarchy? If you are, that's your mistake - you should NEVER take the actual stream files out of the AVCHD structure. The HF10 is compatible with iMovie, but you need to leave the full folder structure alone and not yank out the mts files themselves.

you also can't copy the mts files back to the camera and expect them to work. iMovie (as well as FCE and FCP) requires the full structure to recognize the video footage (which AFAIK also requires the existence of the appropriate stream playlist files which exist elsewhere in the folder hierarchy).

I should also note, if you're recording in HD, that camera should be encoding the video as H.264, not mpeg2 within the mts files.

You can get a free player called Movist which will play the mts (vlc should also play them, but sometimes I've had trouble with VLC with ts files) files and if you pull up the info on them it should tell you what codec the video is actually in.

Since it would seem you've probably already taken the mts files out of the structure, you may want to try out a program called ClipWrap. It's not free, but it works well and it has a trial version (will only convert about a minutes worth if I recall). It's a specific use tool to take files like mts files and either wrap the h.264 into a mov container OR convert it to one of the editing codecs like AIC (used by iMovie and FCE) or ProRES (used by FCP)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I updated my post to add the converter that I use (well, I use it for my hauppage, my camcorder video I leave in the structure and copy the entire folder hierarchy around). I probably updated as you were writing your response :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks Nethfal, seems like i need to pay for my mistake then!

I'll buy a converter

BB

edit: I tried Movist but is only plays the files is doesn't seem to convert them to save and import to imovie. I only have the free version though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I only use movist to play the files (partially to get codec information, partially because I'm pretty sure it uses hardware decoding since it seems to play high bitrate H.264 files as well as mts/m2ts files better then other players).

Before you buy, I'd suggest using a trial version of whatever you're looking at - make sure it works for you first before outlaying any more money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Have you tried Handbrake at all?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.