expanding RAM using a flash drive

Reaction score
My MBPro has 4 gigs of ram, but I was curious if its possible to use a flaw drive to expand it. I know with windows you can use a flash drive as virtual memory, but is it possible to do on a mac as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
My MBPro has 4 gigs of ram, but I was curious if its possible to use a flaw drive to expand it. I know with windows you can use a flash drive as virtual memory, but is it possible to do on a mac as well?

It dosen't quite work that way.

On a PC, what it's doing is using the flash drive as a page file which is a faster device than the HDD. It's not actually expanding your RAM.

That being said, Mac OS don't have that technology that I am aware of but with 4GB of RAM, it's not really needed. Additionally, doubling your RAM to 8GB is only around $50 which is not too bad of a price all things considered.

OP
T
Reaction score
Is it worth expanding to the 8 gigs? I'm not doing any 3D rendering or gaming, I mostly work with the adobe design products for print and the occasional audio file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
Graphic design can actually be pretty memory intensive.

Open up one of your usual projects and any other programs you usually run then open up Activity Monitor.

If you have less than 1GB free memory, then it's probably worth it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.