IPad or Notebook?

Reaction score
I want to use Garage Band to make a music CD with solo piano, and I'm trying to figure out which Mac product I need. I thought an IPad was the right choice, even though I realize the GB app for IPad doesn't have as many tracks and instruments as GB on a notebook. But then I researched the Mac Book Air and wonder if it might be the right choice. Has anyone had any experience with this and perhaps some words of wisdom?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
If its going to be your only device for creation I have to say, go with the Air. I love the iPad as a content consumption device, but a full notebook is better for content creation.

I have an iPad 2 right now, and use my Mac Mini or everything else. The laptop (probably a Pro) will be ordered next week.

OP
P
Reaction score
My daughter has a MacBook Pro and she loves it. I could use it for recording but she is away at college. Thanks for your help; I appreciate it.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You get more computer for your dollar with the MBP over the MBA. We have both. The MBA is a wonderful notebook, but unless you need (or really want) the ultra-slim form factor, the MBP is a much better choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Hmm...depends on your other needs. If you aren't heavy on your typing and don't mind a more limited device, go for the iPad. If you do want a KEYBOARD, I suggest the air. However, the air is essentially a netbook-category device, priced at $1,000--I consider this an overpriced machine to be honest with you.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks everyone....sounds like I need to get a MacBookPro and then pass it on to my son in grad school after I finish with the recording...He will be happy! Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.