• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Exporting audio in iMovie 11

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need to export audio from iMovie 11 to either iTunes/StudioOne/Garageband to seriously overhaul the sound on a clip. The audio is detached, but I can't drag it into any of my audio apps. When filming, my mic cover fell off and the audio needs far more work than iMovie's audio program can handle. With previous versions of iMovie, I could easily drag the audio from iMovie or the movie's 'package contents' window into the aforementioned programs. I've tried everything I could think of, and can't load the HD vid clip into my old 2005 single core imac to use a previous version of imovie. How do we do this in iMovie 11?

Thanks!

jeffnar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
In iMovie, make a Project using that clip. Open Garageband and start a new project. Click on the media button in the bottom right hand corner, and your Project should appear under the Movies tab. If it doesn't, go back to iMovie and share the Project to the Media Browser(the Mobile setting is good enough).

Back in Garageband, drag the movie into the main window. It should then appear as separate video and audio track. Delete the video track, work on the audio and then share it to iTunes.

Back in iMovie, you can then import the audio back in from iTunes.

OP
J
Reaction score
In iMovie, make a Project using that clip. Open Garageband and start a new project. Click on the media button in the bottom right hand corner, and your Project should appear under the Movies tab. If it doesn't, go back to iMovie and share the Project to the Media Browser(the Mobile setting is good enough).

Back in Garageband, drag the movie into the main window. It should then appear as separate video and audio track. Delete the video track, work on the audio and then share it to iTunes.

Back in iMovie, you can then import the audio back in from iTunes.

MG, thanks for the mighty tip; I was not aware that you could import vid files into music apps like GB (haven't used any newer than GB7). I opened up my Media Browser in GB 11 and there it was, just like you said.

I also found a tip for iMovie9 that still works in iMovie11: Assemble the vid clips in a new project, then choose Share>Export Using QT, and select "Sound to AIFF file" from that export menu. Both of these methods work fine. Thanks for your timely reply, MG! It was getting frustrating not being able to drag the detached audio file out, and the imovie help didn't seem to address that subject. Cheers, jeffnar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.