• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Moral dillema

Reaction score
If you buy a HDD and it has tons of movies and music on it would the right thing to do be formatting the drive without ever watching or listening to anything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hmm. I guess it would depend on the nature of the movies. Ask Gary Glitter about that one.
I would be most likely to format it without looking to be fair, so probably wouldn't notice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
you could speak the the person who you bought it from to see if they want them back.....if not, it's as Kevriano said, if they are not Gary Glitter esk, or chick flicks, keep em.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
you could speak the the person who you bought it from to see if they want them back.....if not, it's as Kevriano said, if they are not Gary Glitter esk, or chick flicks, keep em.....

better still.....share them, kind of a premium member perk :D

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
Hmm. I guess it would depend on the nature of the movies. Ask Gary Glitter about that one.
I would be most likely to format it without looking to be fair, so probably wouldn't notice.

Oh geeze! I just read about Gary Glitter. Good point.O:)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
If it were me, id have a quick scan to see if there was anything i wanted then id format.

When people being in their ipods for testing at work i generally nick their music for the shop playlist before i do the mandatory format :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When people being in their ipods for testing at work i generally nick their music for the shop playlist before i do the mandatory format :p

haha ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'd keep what I liked. I see no moral dilemma here. Guess that makes me a bad bad man. Ah well.

Doug

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I've monitored this thread without weighing in, partly because I'm not absolutely sure what I would do, and partly because I am not much for judging other people's morals. As I see it a moral is what YOU believe is right or wrong, not what I or anyone else thinks.
Can definitely see arguments going several different directions on this. As far as any moral question, for me it would resolve around one key question:
Will this prevent me from buying a movie, song or other media item I would have otherwise purchased?

If not, then it isn't a moral issue at all to me. Out of general curiousity I would probably have to at least see what is on it.

And, what I would probably end up doing is watching things that caught my eye or appealed to me, and if I liked them enough to keep, I would buy them.

Is this moral? I don't know, but probably what I would do.

I read the Gary Glitter thing too. Absolutely need to check that for your own protection (though, I'm not sure which is safer, to reformat without looking or to look and then reformat or report to authorities--could get REAL thorny very quick).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
What's the dilemma?
Did you pay the people who performed the work to produce the goods that you are consuming, whether you received them intentionally or not?
Did the person who sold you the goods pay for them and then give you the original material, or just copies (keeping the originals for their own consumption)?
If not, what entitles you to the sweat of the brow of the producers' of those goods and why?
Is it then not a crime, and by extension morally acceptable, to steal if I need it? How about if I just want it? How about killing for it? Where's the line or do we really care? Is the inherent nature of the goods somehow such that it precludes compensation for it's use at some point?
Blah, blah, blah... talk, talk, talk...

Steal big, steal little, still a thief.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Fact: XJ has never made a mixed tape for a girl. ;P

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
FACT: most previous behavior does not mandate or require current or future behavior in kind. That's a pretty weak argument for legitimizing theft.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Personally, I don't see how this would be any different than purchasing a computer with Adobe Creative Suite or some other expensive software package, but without the original install media. We've come to the conclusion previously that in that particular example, it's a violation of the copyright laws, and is therefore illegal. Whether the movies and music were purchased legally or not, the distribution method is not licensed, and the recipient is not paying anything to the record labels for the content. Mix tapes are fuzzy in my mind - if it's for your own custom playlist and you own the music, it's probably fine, like a custom playlist in iTunes. If you're giving that music to someone else, it's probably illegal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I agree with XJ-linux and EvenStranger.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Interesting thread and discussion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I simply doubt the sincerity here is really all I'm getting at. I've never copped anything I didn't intend on or have already purchased. But this isn't said to defend my previous statement, rather that I'm being honest and not trying to look like a great guy because of words alone.

If you start getting into the semantics, and how money is distributed in the music or film industry, it can get really messy. As a musician, and someone with friends whom are signed artists, I know a lot of what goes on financially, and how things work on the corporate level. It's not pretty. But that's not really speaking to the point of the OP's question I suppose.

Morals. We all know the difference between right and wrong. There are also fine lines drawn. Damage comes in different forms (within context), so it's up to you to know if you're hurting someone or not.

Believe me, lawyers and corporations hurt artists FAR more than anything someone here could do, set by example in the OP.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
It would be wrong if you shared them for a profit. It would also be wrong to share any other kind of persona info found on it. If I came into possession of that hdd(after buying), and it still had stuff on it, I would tell the person they forgot to format the hdd before shipping it out. If there were transferable songs/videos on it, I would keep the good stuff. I wouldn't keep any apps. Then, I would reformat it. Morals can ruin a person. Don't worry so much.

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
Well i just received the HDD today. i just plugged it in and all the files are there as the person i bought it from said. i didn't buy it for the files i bought it for the firewire 800,4tb,price but the dang thing is soooooo slow i must be doing something wrong because i cant do anything on it. i cant even put a tiny file on it.

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
I needed to install the drivers for the HDD that were on a CD that came with it. so it works now. I have posted in the other hardware section. I have just decided to format the drive without partaking. If anyone wants to give me a hand check out the other post..

Thanks for everyones input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What's the dilemma?
Did you pay the people who performed the work to produce the goods that you are consuming, whether you received them intentionally or not?
Did the person who sold you the goods pay for them and then give you the original material, or just copies (keeping the originals for their own consumption)?
If not, what entitles you to the sweat of the brow of the producers' of those goods and why?
Is it then not a crime, and by extension morally acceptable, to steal if I need it? How about if I just want it? How about killing for it? Where's the line or do we really care? Is the inherent nature of the goods somehow such that it precludes compensation for it's use at some point?
Blah, blah, blah... talk, talk, talk...

Steal big, steal little, still a thief.

While I agree with you, I feel that is you're opinion and only you're opinion. To place your morals, values or convictions on others is a bit self righteous. The whole "Let those without sin..." thing and all.

While it is still technically theft, comparing the OPs dilemma to other forms of theft or murder is not realistic nor particularly apt. It is a slippery slope I agree but I think most reasonable individuals can draw a distinction between keeping a few movies they didn't pay for and killing a person.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.