Is the iMac a bad computer?

D

Drunken Pirate

On Ebay and on this site I have noticed alot of people selling their iMacs saying they are only a few weeks to a month old. This makes me wonder if they are good computers. I guess it depends on what you want to do. I am on a PowerMac that has about the same specs as the iMacs im looking at, and it runs fast and great. I wont be doing much hardcore video editing (E.G. Just what I can do with iMovie) and I only want to play a few games that arnt very graphics/cpu intensive. (E.G. Starcraft/Diablo, EV Overide :)

So would the iMac be good for me or is it a generally bad computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
maybe their selling it because they want the new iMac? Anyway, i would love to have an iMac so my iBook can compliment it.. and it would make a nice desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
iMac's are good, they just got an large update so some people might be selling theirs to get a new one
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1.5G RAM
I love my iMac after 6 months but the new ones are really tempting.

OP
D

Drunken Pirate

Are the new ones just bigger screens, remote, iSight, faster proccessor, more ram? (Bascially Everything, lol)Or is there other upgrade parts that im missing? Should I just fork out the money and get a new one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
I have had my iMac Rev A 1.6 with Geforce FX for around 8 or 9 months now and I am not selling it to get a new one. I have had no problems with it either. The reason I will not sell it to get a new one is:

I want to get some usage out of it for the next couple of years and by the time I do that, the new iMacs will be even better and the intel version will be out.

It is not long since they were updated, and I played the updating every 10 minutes game when I had PCs - I certainly did not invest money in a Mac to start playing that expensive game again. It took me a while to realise that today's latest and greatest is yesterdays history ;)

Also, this perfectly suits my needs for what I use it for - there is no need for quite a long time to update it.

I purchased a three year warranty on it which includes accidental damage, so, IMHO, I would be foolish to lose even more money on the warranty just to sell it to get a new one.

IMHO I see no reason to buy a computer every 4/6/8 months or so just to lose money and get a better model, and then lose money again on that model to get an even better one when they are updated again..... I really do not see the point unless purchasing the update is necessary to needs.

No detriment to those who do BTW, because I suppose if you have the money to do that, then that is fine - but I have not got the money anymore as I invested everything in the three Macs I already own. :)

OP
G

gwon

I love my iMac. I bought it brand new a few days ago (last year model) because the release of the new ones drove its price down in the shop. And the difference between the new one and last years model is tiny. Other than some gimmicks to catch new buyers and trend buyers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
It's a great computer, I have really enjoyed mine and continue to do so. Sure I would love to get one of the new ones, but like it has been said.. this one does everything I want and more.. so there is no point is buying a new one or trading it in just so I can get a speed bump and a built in camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Ditto I have had my iMac for close to a year now and love it. There are lots of people selling them almost certainly because of the new update. None of the new features really appeal to me more than what I have so I didn't even think of upgrading

Reaction score
that front row that comes with the new is very tempting ;)

Reaction score
I noticed people selling their iMacs last year. They were all over ebay--still are. I also wonder the same thing. Why are people selling them. A lot of people said in their description that they needed the money and that they never really used them. Makes me wonder if they are really worth the high price. Kinda like they regretted spending that much on something that they could get for a fraction of the cost.

But I still want one. My Dell NEVER crashes, freezes, etc. Runs smooth and virus free(thanks to Nortons). But the iMac just looks so nice. And I'm really kinda tired of Windows. OS X looks new and exciting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.