increasing confusion

Reaction score
I got so fed up with windows and the appalling error messages, in june 2010 I invested in a MacBook Air and iPhone 4 and started again. Glad I did, because phone and shop staff are incredibly helpful.
My problem is that it's all too clever for me, and "the more I learn, the less I understand". I cannot figure out how to use Skype. Facebook. Twitter etc. or to make rules to control my inbox. I do not understand "smart" or iPhoto. I find instructions and help sites very unclear, especially anything using the word "just". I am now 69 and have used computers for over thirty years, as a freelancer, and as a mature university student, with no office colleagues.
Are there such entities as local mutual support groups? Courses have never really worked for me: "step by step" no substitute for understanding what you're actually doing.

What are Trackbacks?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I got so fed up with windows and the appalling error messages, in june 2010 I invested in a MacBook Air and iPhone 4 and started again. Glad I did, because phone and shop staff are incredibly helpful.
My problem is that it's all too clever for me, and "the more I learn, the less I understand". I cannot figure out how to use Skype. Facebook. Twitter etc. or to make rules to control my inbox. I do not understand "smart" or iPhoto. I find instructions and help sites very unclear, especially anything using the word "just". I am now 69 and have used computers for over thirty years, as a freelancer, and as a mature university student, with no office colleagues.
Are there such entities as local mutual support groups? Courses have never really worked for me: "step by step" no substitute for understanding what you're actually doing.

What are Trackbacks?

You might start by seeing if you can sign up for one-on-one sessions at your local Apple Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I cannot figure out how to use Skype. Facebook. Twitter etc. or to make rules to control my inbox. I do not understand "smart" or iPhoto.

If you give some specifics... I did A and B happened ... maybe someone can help you work through some things.

M

MacInWin

I'm 66, started in computers about 40 years ago, shifted to Macs about 3 years ago. As Razormac said, post your questions and we'll try to help you without using "just" in any way! And if the youngsters get too uppity, I'll translate to geezer for you.

C

chas_m

Your long background in computers should prove helpful in resolving your issues, but I agree with you: there's nothing quite as helpful as having someone right there.

Contact your local Mac User Group and ask them about in-home consultants. With your background and obvious intelligence I'm sure it's more of an "unlearning" problem than a learning problem. I've tutored many seniors and I've noticed that one or two "in-person" visits is usually all it takes before they grab onto the philosophy of the Mac and "get it."

The Mac User Groups themselves are incredibly helpful in this regard, and so is this forum for all those "little questions" as well. We're certainly always willing to help.

As for Trackbacks, they are unimportant -- they can show where else a blog post or news story has be reprinted on the web.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.