Remove address from Mail's "memory"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
I have OS 10.7.2 on a MacBookPro. In Mail, how do I remove an email address from popping up as a choice in the outgoing TO: slot. That is, if I begin to type, say, "Jim ...", in the TO: slot, several addresses which begin that way appear as choices, which is great. But there is one such address which I want to eliminate from appearing in that list. (The person has died.) How do I do so? (The name is not in the Address Book.) I clicked on the small white arrow next to the name, and selected "Remove" but that removes it only from the current message's To: slot. I clicked on "Remove from previous recipients list" but that does not seem to accomplish anything. I rebooted (an old Windows habit) after doing both of those. There has to be a way, but I can't find it. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Code:
The "brute force" method is to go into your Mail Preferences, click on the "composing" tab and remove the check from "Automatically complete addresses". Of course that means all are gone not just the one you want to eliminate.

Other than that, you can try moving the mail plist file to the desktop and see if that does it. Here is where it's located:

/Users/your name/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist

However, before you can do so, you will need to unhide your user library folder which by default is hidden in Lion. Do this:

Open your terminal application and type the following:

Code:
chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Leave terminal and open the Finder. The library folder should now be visible.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"... you will need to unhide your user library folder ..."

As instructed (for which thanks), I have done that, and found it in Finder.

"... you can try moving the mail plist file to the desktop and see if that does it."

If I remove the existing mail plist file from Library/Preferences, will Lion then replace the now absent file by creating a new mail plist file automatically?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
No need to mess with unhiding your library folder. With the current version of Mail you can delete addresses of previous recipients if they are no longer needed. Do the following:

1. Open Mail and choose "Window" from the menu bar.
2. Choose the "Previous Recipients" item.
3. In the window that appears select any addresses you wish to get rid of and choose delete. No need to mess with the plist file.

I believe this option was also available in some earlier versions of Mail.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks Sly, that works. Amazing what you can learn in these forums. ;P

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're welcome. And you're right about learning a thing or two here. I certainly have. I don't remember where I picked that tip up. It's in the help file but I rarely read those. First time I tried it I had one of those "Why didn't I notice that moments.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... I had one of those "Why didn't I notice that moments".

You can say that again! I thought I had looked everywhere.

Now that I have un-hidden the user Library, is there any reason not to leave it that way, as long as I remember not to mess around there without checking here first?

Thank you both for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem leaving the Library unhidden. It's actually more convenient to do so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.