There is no connected camera

Reaction score
Hi all I have this really annoying problem with my mac book pro 3.1,
OSX 10.68 ,2.4 Intel duo ,6gb ddr2 ram.

The problem is with the built in camera which is not showing in System Profiler. Anytime I start photo booth or any software that uses the camera I get 'there is no camera connected'. I have tried everything ,removing I chat preferences,starting in safe mode, by pressing the shift key this did not work, I tried resetting with ctrl, cmd,p,r together this did not work, I tried ressetting SMC following Apple's guidelines, after this reset the problem was still there. I even had a new camera installed which worked for 1 week then the same problem occurred,I even reinstalled osx and updated it, this failed to cure the problem. I have no intentions of buying a third internal camera. I am very fed up after hours of researching this problem I am no nearer to a solution. is there anyone out there who has solved this obviously common problem with mac book pro's
any pointers would be greatly appreciated thanks!

C

chas_m

It's not a common problem with MacBook Pros. I have over 200 clients with MBPs and routinely read forums (not just this one) and yours is THE first one I've heard mention this issue. I'm not saying nobody else has ever had it, but let's face reality for a second: Apple has sold something like 10 million MBPs. If it was a "common" problem, Apple wouldn't be selling ANY mbps.

I'm not clear on why you "bought" a second internal camera when is quite clearly a warranty issue. Care to elaborate on that?

OP
B
Reaction score
I don't need the apple sales pitch, I have over two thousand clients with several hundred macbooks amongst them! I need a solution to this problem for my own knowledge. Do you actually have any Idea about this one? I apprieciate that you went through a great effort to reply ,but you have actually told me nothing! If the Mbp was new and under warranty I would not have started this thread I would have simply sent it back for a replacement? hence I had to buy a second internal camera!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Who installed the new Camera? Since it worked for a week then stopped, I am wondering if it's a loose cable maybe where it plugs into the Logicboard.

Chas is right that this is not a large scale issue, but I have seen a couple of others with the basic issue. Also I take it this is not a new MBP.

OP
B
Reaction score
The machine has been stripped down and all cables thoroughly checked! No its not a new MBP. ps: 'common' meaning it has happened on more than one occassion and on more than one machine, Not common as in the quantative or statistical sense. Can some one actually answer the question without all the gestapo stuff! and post a solution or factual conclusion. many thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would ditch the attitude. Questions are important if you expect someone to help. In EVERY CASE I have ever seen in my repair work it was a loose cable. Now we know you checked that. If you don't want questions, don't expect help.

gestapo stuff?? No, most here have never seen that issue, so questions are important.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can some one actually answer the question without all the gestapo stuff! and post a solution or factual conclusion. many thanks!

Sometimes folks ask additional questions to better understand the situation...so that they can reply with the best answer possible.

Obviously you're a knowledgeable person...having "over two thousand clients with several hundred macbooks amongst them!". And if you don't know the answer...then it must be a very tough issue to figure out.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Many thanks! is a sign of grattitude, gestapo stuff?? is not attitude its simpy a way of saying 'relevant questions only'.Sorry no offence intended I thought the first post was very descriptive of the problem. whever the machine is new or not or under warranty or not, is of no relevance! the problem is there in the machine. It's a mac book pro 3.1 do they still sell this old model brand new with warranties?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I think the struggle is - if it was a 'common' problem - then folks here would have come across it - and even better, could have a solution to offer. It sounds like you've taken the logical steps - it could just be as simple as a failure of electronics. Cameras for notebooks aren't exactly high margin items so I'm sure the components are selected accordingly. Given that you have 2000 or more clients and this is the only camera problem child you're wrestling with - I'm inclined to believe it's just a simple HW failure.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This might upset you but it could very well be the new Camera. Maybe you got unlucky. That is why I asked who installed the camera and now asking where you got it from and if it was new or used.

If it's not the camera, there are two possibilities. Either a defective intermittent cable to the camera, or something on the Logic board. I think that is where Brian above is going with this. There only 3 possibilities that I can think of.

My iMac G5 Isight had your issue. It WAS the cable. Replaced that and it's been golden ever since.

Also in your first post you never said you checked the cable on both ends.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks Pigoo3 for your reply. Yes I do realise that some questions are enevitable to sometime clarify an unclear situation. but the first post I think gives all the relevant info. Yes it is a tough one I have admitted defeat on a couple of occassion's due to time constraints. when faced with an identical problem in the past. that's why I'm here on this forum to try to get to the bottom of this one for my own knowledge.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
whever the machine is new or not or under warranty or not, is of no relevance! the problem is there in the machine.

Warranty questions can be of relevance if the computer still has Applecare remaining...since if it's a hardware issue...it may be just a heck of a lot easier to get Apple to troubleshoot things...than an individual user or IT professional to mess around for hours & hours trying to figure it out.

It's a mac book pro 3.1 do they still sell this old model brand new with warranties?

Who is still selling this old MacBook Pro model "brand new"...and with a warranty as well?

The MacBook Pro 3,1's are from around the late 2007...very early 2008 timeframe. Even if folks who bought them with 3 years of extended Applecare...even most of those warranties have run out...or will be running out soon.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
I am tending to lean to you guys line of thinking the camera was bought new from an apple supplier and fitted by ex apple service engineer.I just wanted some one with a similar problem to confirm it was a logicboard problem.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to leave for the day but one more possibility. You reset the SMC. Did you also try resetting the PRAM? It could be something in the firmware causing the issue if nothing else as with some camera issues as you have read, resetting the PMU fixes them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I do realise that some questions are enevitable to sometime clarify an unclear situation. but the first post I think gives all the relevant info.

I'm sure you will admit that "text-only" communication on an internet forum does have it's weakness's. And sometimes what seems to be a TOTALLY clear, informative, and detailed post...is still sometimes unclear to someone else (not close to the situation)...especially if they're approaching the question from a different angle.

It's these "different angles" of approaching a question/situation that gets things solved. If we all thought the same...we would never advance (or we would advance much more slowly). Please be patient...the questions folks ask may have a very relevant purpose.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

p.s. I'm also not saying that your original post is not very well stated, detailed, and well thought out. But there could be some "gaps" (thus questions) that may help others figure out a solution.:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem is with the built in camera which is not showing in System Profiler.

When you say that the camera doesn't show up in the System Profiler...are you talking about going to "About This Mac" (Apple drop down menu)...and then clicking on the "More Info" button?

If so...when I do this...and I highlight the "USB" section (under the "hardware" portion of the window)...this is where it shows my MacBook Pro's iSight camera.

Is this where you're not seeing your camera?

Also...is this problem with just one computer...or multiple computers that you may be supporting?

Do you work for a small/large company that may have custom installs of the Mac OS or other software packages? I know that some companies (at least with the Windows OS) modify the OS to meet their needs...and this customization can cause hardware/software issues.

- Nick

Reaction score
New MBP and Isight is not recognized on any application!!

I have this problem and I do not know what to do. This is my first Mac, everything else seemed fine but yesterday when I tried to Skype, Iphoto, Photo booth, and Face Time nothing worked. I tried to reset but that did not work. I did a system update ... no luck. I hate this is happening, I will miss my family's Christmas this year....we usually Skype. Since I just got my MBP in November, I really dont know much about troubleshooting like I would in Windows. Any help is appreciated. Again, I keep getting the error There is no connected camera. The system does not even recognize Isight. What do I do ?

Reaction score
It might be hardware defect or loose cable.

Started having this problem weeks ago for no apparent reason, I have tried reseting PRAM and SMC sometimes. Then moved to a clean Snow Leopard install (I'm running OS X 10.7.2) and still undetected. The last try, a bit radical was to try loading up Windows 7 with Boot Camp drivers. In all cases the device cannot be properly identified.

The Console app will register an error during boot and OS X eventually will give up trying to identify the iSight. I'll post Console output soon.

But right now, options are disassemble machine check for loose iSight cable, replace iSight for an aftermarket piece, and lastly, replace logic board, all of them because machine is out of Apple Care. This can be done in a AASP or at home if you are adventurous. I'll will wait a few more months before doing that as iSight is not critical for me. Usually AASP will replace the LB and charge me 60% of new machine and since it's 4 yrs old now, not worth to me at this moment as I intend to use it for one more year.

Reaction score
Console sample of iSight not being recognized.

Got this during boot using <Command-V> or by Terminal by sudo dmesg

USBF: 0.868 [0xffffff800fee5200] The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in. It will keep retrying. (Port 4 of Hub at 0xfd000000)

Reaction score
Same Problem

Ugh....I have the same problem, have taken all the same steps as in the original description. I even went to the Apple store today to get Genius help. For some frustrating reason, the camera DECIDED TO WORK when the Genius was looking at my computer. They tried to run an analysis on my computer but for some reason were not able, so they restarted the computer and tried to open Photo Booth again....and it worked, again.

Low and behold, the minute I walk into my house and want to Skype with family, it doesn't work.

Have any of you actually found a concrete solution? I will continue to search forums and if I find one I will post it back here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.