Nikon 1 J1 camera

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Core i7 2.66 500GB 15" - Mac mini Core i5 2.5 500GB - Iphone 4 32GB - 32GB Ipad 2
Hey everyone, i really know nothing about photography but i want to start getting into it. What i am looking for is a camera to take hiking, mountain biking etc. so i can capture some nature shots while i am out and about.

That being said what do you guys think about the Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 J1 Camera | Compact Camera System

Any other suggestions on a camera will fit my main needs? I like the idea of this Nikon 1 because of the size and in general i want to stick to a $500-700 budget. Thanks for any feedback!

cheers

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hey everyone, i really know nothing about photography but i want to start getting into it. What i am looking for is a camera to take hiking, mountain biking etc. so i can capture some nature shots while i am out and about.

That being said what do you guys think about the Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 J1 Camera | Compact Camera System

Any other suggestions on a camera will fit my main needs? I like the idea of this Nikon 1 because of the size and in general i want to stick to a $500-700 budget. Thanks for any feedback!

cheers

Far be it from me to discourage anyone from buying a new toy, but with the description you make of your experience and desires I would reccomend starting with a top quality Point and Shoot (P&S) camera, one with a good set of manual controls.

Two good ones (there are others)
Canon G12
Panasonic LX3

If you are set on going with a mirrorless (interchangeable lens) camera, then I would look seriously at the Sonys 3 & 5 and also the offerings from Olympus and Panasonic. Also worth considering is to get a small DSLR setup (such as the Nikon D3100). Not much larger than the mirrorless bodies once you put a lens on them but a step up in performance.
I'm interested in the J1 myself, but I also have an investment in Nikon lenses that I would hope to be able to use with it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Core i7 2.66 500GB 15" - Mac mini Core i5 2.5 500GB - Iphone 4 32GB - 32GB Ipad 2
Thanks for your suggestions Razormac, i've been told by a few people that i should skip right to a SLR setup so it seems i should look more closely at going that route.

Forgive me for being such a noob when it comes to this but what are the main advantages of going with a SLR? I mean i know the general background behind the SLR technology but what does this mean when it comes to the actual pictures taken?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your suggestions Razormac, i've been told by a few people that i should skip right to a SLR setup so it seems i should look more closely at going that route.

Forgive me for being such a noob when it comes to this but what are the main advantages of going with a SLR? I mean i know the general background behind the SLR technology but what does this mean when it comes to the actual pictures taken?

Actually, I am not recommending that you jump straight to a DSLR, only that you consider it among your options.

The choice really comes down to what you want to do, and what features are important to you.
Since you mention biking and hiking that to me indicates portability is a major factor. And, because you currently have little or no photography experience I would tend to suggest you go with a high quality compact camera (such as the two I recommended you look at). Both have "fast" lenses (you will come to understand what that means and it's significance to you as you learn) and both come with a full slate of manual controls (important as you progress).

If you had an unlimited budget I would say buy whatever appeals and try it. But $500 to $700 isn't much to start any kind of serious kit (DSLR or Mirrorless) unless you buy used (always an option) but will get you a top notch compact camera to learn on.
The next step would be to take pictures (lots of pictures) you learn by doing and by analyzing what worked and what didn't. A lot of good reference material to read n the web, as well as some good books. I would recommend "Understanding Exposure".

By the time you begin to feel handicapped by your equipment you will be better positioned to decide what you truly ought to be buying.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again Razormac, great advice to keep in mind as i venture into the realm of photography!

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Good advice thus far. I'll add to it by saying that it's really important for you to try and get to a shop and look at the options which are available to you in the budget you've set. Physically holding the camera's, looking at their menu systems, and seeing what fits YOU best right then and there, is a great start.

Remember, the goal is to take that camera with you at all times (if possible), but if it's not comfortable to hold, or if your ability to get the shot you envision in your head is hindered by a lack of proper buttons, controls or a poor menu system that takes too long to get to a simple feature with, then that should be an automatic NO.

I'm personally not impressed by any of the new Nikon mirrorless systems. Some of the specs are impressive, but none of them matter much since the output I've seen looks not so great (IMO) I don't care about how fast the shutter can fire, or that the AF is deadly fast if the final output is soft, and the noise at ISO 800 is ugly.

The new sensors are smaller than those in 4/3rds systems, they're also proprietary which means another new size to deal with. That also means a lot less lenses, unless you purchase an adapter and use manual focus lenses. I just don't understand the market Nikon is going for with the new system, given its price point. But you'd have to do some real research to understand that in its self.

As RM said before, think about what you think you'll be shooting. If you have no idea, then honestly, a smaller profile DSLR might actually be the best way to go since it leaves you with the most options to learn from and grow with.

That said, if you do have an idea of what you think your style will be, it will be easier to help you from there. An important thing to note when going into photography, is that when you purchase an DSLR, you're not just purchasing an easily disposable thing. You're buying into a "system". The lenses you choose are even more important than the body, but you first have to understand why you want which body you're looking into.

For instance: Full frame, or cropped? Rely on auto focus all the time, or have more control with manual focus? Sony makes nice bodies, but the lenses are only kind of ok. But you can always slap some extremely nice manual focus lenses on an Sony body and get amazing results. But that also depends on what you'll be shooting.

Shooting sports? Need good focus tracking? I've always had great results with Nikon in terms of keepers, and Canon's higher end bodies just can't keep up in that area. You can look around the web and find many of the same complaints.

There's a lot of factors to consider. But if shopping for an DSLR, you should try and stick with the brand you initially choose because it can get costly when purchasing multiple lenses, lighting systems etc.. Do your homework and take your time!

I'd be happy to answer any further questions. Just lay em' out there.

On another note, I was looking at the Olympus 4/3rds system and the Sony mirrorless, and am very impressed with those as far as output quality goes. I'm leaning more towards the Oly system for a few reasons. Mostly because the lens options are more abundant. Secondly, the UI is more intuitive. I'm not liking the balance of Sony's kit lenses on their NEX bodies. Too bulky. But output looks great, even at very high ISO. Either system takes adapters which will fit all of my Nikon lenses, and that's important.

The Sony system is cheaper by a couple hundred, but I don't mind saving up for something I'll be happier with in the end run. Oh and yeah.. I'm kind of in the market for a new system as well. I'm planning on getting a mirrorless camera, and leaving the DSLR for studio work only. So I guess we can go through this together.

Here are some links for you to check out reviews and samples:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/ (I like this dude. Regular guy/photographer without bias. Just calls it as he sees it. doesn't get paid by anybody to do reviews) And he's good at what he does.

Tom Hogan: Nikon Digital Camera and Photography Articles by Thom Hogan Good info in general. He's got some good links to follow as well.

www.nikon-cafe.com I'm a member here. Great people, very laid back and no ego's from what I've seen. Lot's of good advice that goes beyond Nikon products. A lot of the members have bought into mirrorless systems and post tons of samples and reviews.

Fred Miranda: fredmiranda.com: Specialized in Canon - Nikon SLR Cameras, Forum, Photoshop Plugins, Actions, Reviews, Hosting and Digital Darkroom Another great forum full of pros. Great reviews, great images and great people.

Had more links in mind, just don't remember which! More later.

Doug

Edit: Almost forgot about the very respectable Canon Forums. Here's a good thread on one of the new Nikons: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1095402&page=3

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great advice as always, Doug, and thanks for the links.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Sure thing! Even though I don't trust DpReview, (they're owned by Amazon) if you look at their studio scene comparisons, (which you can control the ISO for each camera system and image) the Sony NEX 5 and NEX 5N blow them all away. And given how much Nikon is charging for the J1... it's a total rip off IMHO.

Nikon 1 System Preview Preview: 4. Compared to (JPEG Higher ISO): Digital Photography Review

You can move the cursor area to focus on any part of the image and then change the ISO as well as the camera systems. Even the Olympus compact PnS XZ 1 holds its own vs the new Nikon! I would stay away from the new Nikon mirrorless systems like the plague, personally speaking.

The Sony NEX 5 really trumps the Olympus EP 3 for high ISO performance. It especially shows when looking at the RAW images. I was playing with an NEX 5N yesterday at B&H Photo, and manual focus was really very easy and well controlled. Loved that as a selling point. Hmmmm... decisions decisions.

I really wouldn't consider anything other than one of those two systems for a compact mirrorless right now. Unless you didn't care about interchangeable lenses. In that case, it would be the Fuji X100 or the new X10 coming out perhaps.

Doug

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure thing! Even though I don't trust DpReview, (they're owned by Amazon) if you look at their studio scene comparisons, (which you can control the ISO for each camera system and image) the Sony NEX 5 and NEX 5N blow them all away. And given how much Nikon is charging for the J1... it's a total rip off IMHO.

Nikon 1 System Preview Preview: 4. Compared to (JPEG Higher ISO): Digital Photography Review

You can move the cursor area to focus on any part of the image and then change the ISO as well as the camera systems. Even the Olympus compact PnS XZ 1 holds its own vs the new Nikon! I would stay away from the new Nikon mirrorless systems like the plague, personally speaking.

The Sony NEX 5 really trumps the Olympus EP 3 for high ISO performance. It especially shows when looking at the RAW images. I was playing with an NEX 5N yesterday at B&H Photo, and manual focus was really very easy and well controlled. Loved that as a selling point. Hmmmm... decisions decisions.

I really wouldn't consider anything other than one of those two systems for a compact mirrorless right now. Unless you didn't care about interchangeable lenses. In that case, it would be the Fuji X100 or the new X10 coming out perhaps.

Doug
The problem I'm having with Mirrorless right now is ALL of my glass is G. I really like what I have (especially my 70-300mm VR) so not keen to switch systems.
Probably, if I do go for a mirrorless body (which I would really love to have) I will try to pick up some older (used) glass to go with it, unless someone comes up with a way to control Aperture on my G lenses on a Sony or Oly body.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
... and Nikkor new glass appears to be going ALL G.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as I know, there are adapters for G type glass.

Doug
Yea, I'm just unpleased with the cost-reduction measures that are being taken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way, not sure if you guys know this or not, but the factories where Nikon, Sony and other cameras and lenses are manufactured, have been absolutely POUNDED by mother nature. The factories have been flooded throughout, and plans have been heavily changed.

Costs will be way up, and we'll feel it here for sure. Inventory will likely be short, and we'll likely feel that too.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you expand on that?

So, we have a lens that's now manufactured without an aperture ring.

What does that do? Saves money in manufacturing.

How? It saves the tooling costs of the aperture ring and in the cost of materials for manufacturing. So, it's a cost-reduction measure. Probably taken into account that the average user, these days, is using a body that controls aperture anyway, and there is no doubt this is true.

The actual production run issues, for all sorts of reasons (earthquake, tsunami etc) I completely understand and you're right.. costs will go up, if for no other reason than supply in relation to demand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol.. I had no idea you were speaking of the exclusion of aperture rings! But this has been true for most modern made lenses for some time now. Aperture rings have been relegated to manual focus lenses. I love full control, but with the advent of modern technology, they're sort of made to be irrelevant because of the processor chips which control everything.

In some ways, I don't mind. Lugging a DSLR rig around all day with solid lenses can become quite fatiguing! New lenses (albeit cheaper feeling) are so much lighter, which of course for a person with aging knees and back can be a real benefit.

Of course the manufacturer's always find something to add on the lens, such as magic nano coated pixie dust, which allows them to keep costs up! ;)

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, sorry.. it's been an on again, off again, personal windmill for me for a while. I have more than a few G type lenses, but man.. some of them I really wish I could toss on my F3.. or even FM2.

or.. even reverse.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.