DVD RW unwritable after complete erase in disk utility

Reaction score
I used the "Completly erase" option in disk utility to erase my dvd rw. Now when I try to burn I get a message telling me the disk is unwritable. Its happened with two of my disks. What is wrong.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What is wrong is that DVD RW media is a waste of money. I gave up on using them long ago. They are unreliable to begin with and on top of that, Disk Utility does not know how to properly erase them. Use DVD+R or DVD-R media instead. As inexpensive as DVD disks are, it's just not worth the time and effort to use RW media.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if you must use DVD-RW make sure you use Toast Titanium to erase the disc. otherwise just use DVD+R discs as our staff member suggests.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your probably right. The reason Im using dvd-rw is because I m transfering old anlagoue tapes to my computer and I dont want to use a new dvd for each tape. Is there no way I can restore my disk.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there no way I can restore my disk.

No, it's a coaster. Throw it away and buy yourself a pack of DVD media to use instead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.