• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Google talks Android 4.0, slams iOS and WP7 design

Reaction score
Google talks Android 4.0, slams iOS and WP7 design

android4-matiasduarte.jpg
Google's key Android interface designer Matias Duarte in an interview chastised both Apple and Microsoft for their UI. Pointing to Android 4.0's attempt at balancing design with flexibility, he saw Apple as clinging too closely to real-world metaphors. Its skeuomorphic (real-world emulation) interfaces, he told This is my next, were not just cartoonish but were too reminiscent of crude early web design....

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif
adscout.php

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You can always tell when Google is worried about the competition. They act like they are collectively 12, which in some cases may be true.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
In other news, Apple criticizes the competition's UI and Microsoft deconstructs Android and iOS. Why do stories like this keep reaching the level of "newsworthy"?

It took no more than a few seconds to find articles in which Apple and Microsoft criticize the competition. I'd much rather see these companies do something about this than sit there are complain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
What wrong with a UI being “skeuomorphic”? It feels much more natural, and we can relate better than a “new” sort of action.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I do not like Android's UI at all. Yes I have tried it a few times now.

And yes, you can find all 3 Criticizing each other.

Reaction score
I don't mind the Android UI, it looks good. It just doesn't act good. The user experience leaves me kinda frustrated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
What wrong with a UI being “skeuomorphic”? It feels much more natural, and we can relate better than a “new” sort of action.

This is true in some cases, but then there are design atrocities like this. >.>

That said, in the particular case of Apple's calendar app, I think that look works well enough on the iPad - it's on the computer where skeuomorphic designs almost always look either tacky or like they're trying too hard to be quirky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I agree in some small ways, but I still prefer it over the overly-geeky Tron-esque interfaces Google uses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I agree in some small ways, but I still prefer it over the overly-geeky Tron-esque interfaces Google uses.

See but, the beauty of Android is being able to tweak the UI however you'd like. I can make my UI look EXACTLY like iOS if I'd like. I've never run the stock UI. I always use different (and free) launchers. Currently using Go! Launcher which is extremely flexible and powerful. You'd honestly be hard pressed to find any faults with it.

I do enjoy the simplicity of iOS, but at the same time get very bored with it, quickly. It would be nice to at least have the option to change certain things within the iOS UI.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.