Disc Defragment and Scan Disc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
Having switched from windows to Mac I'm used to scanning my HD and defragmenting it in Windows, is there something like that on MacOSX or is it not necessary on Macs. I have TechTool Deluxe and I've had a go on Disc Utilty but all I did was check permissions (?). I also just downloaded onyx if that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
A little hint:
Loose your old habits, it'll make your Mac experience much more pleasant. :cool:

Mac OS X isn't Windows, and therefore there are things you need to do on one system, but not on the other (and vice-versa).
Mac OS (X and earlier) uses HFS+, a filesystem that's very different from FAT32/NTFS. It avoids fragmentation on-the fly, so there's no need to defragment.
You can verify the disk with Disk Utility, which is pretty similar to scanning the disk in Windows.

OS X is a UNIX-based system, therefore is a bit picky when acces permissions on files are wrongly set. Repairing those permissions can sometimes solve little problems.

E

etes

Avalon said:
A little hint:
Loose your old habits, it'll make your Mac experience much more pleasant. :cool:

Mac OS X isn't Windows, and therefore there are things you need to do on one system, but not on the other (and vice-versa).
Mac OS (X and earlier) uses HFS+, a filesystem that's very different from FAT32/NTFS. It avoids fragmentation on-the fly, so there's no need to defragment.
You can verify the disk with Disk Utility, which is pretty similar to scanning the disk in Windows.

OS X is a UNIX-based system, therefore is a bit picky when acces permissions on files are wrongly set. Repairing those permissions can sometimes solve little problems.

That is IF you leave your Mac on 24/7. cause these "auto" defrags happen when system is idle. now if you turn your mac off at night there are utilities out there that take care of this problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
etes said:
That is IF you leave your Mac on 24/7. cause these "auto" defrags happen when system is idle. now if you turn your mac off at night there are utilities out there that take care of this problem.
No. The system defrags files when they are opened, according to specific criteria. It does not matter how long your Mac is on, or when.

The system does run chron jobs in the early morning hours, which is what OnyX and MacJanitor do as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
etes said:

technologist gave you the right answer to this. What you mean are the cron-jobs, which isn't defragmenting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.