How can I separate videos in iPhoto?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
My iphoto library has many videos, some taken on my digital camera and others taken on my BlackBerry phone.

Is there a way I can separate all the videos onto a separate album?

I have also bought Duplicate Anhialator and when I type in duplicates it says 663 items but when I highlighted them to delete them the list went on and on and it turned out to be my entire library, again I want to see the duplicates SEPARATELY so that I can delete them without deleting the originals.

C

chas_m

My iphoto library has many videos, some taken on my digital camera and others taken on my BlackBerry phone.

Is there a way I can separate all the videos onto a separate album?

Yes, very easily. All you need to do is create a Smart Album (from the File Menu -> New -> New Smart Album) and set the criteria as "Photo" (from the first popup) "is" (second popup) "Movie" (third popup). That's it!

Please note that you can't delete stuff from a Smart Album, as it is actually just an intelligent search, not really an album. IOW, everything that meets the criteria is included in there, thus you can't delete stuff from there because it still meets the criteria. If you then delete a movie from the main library, then of course it no longer appears in the Smart Album.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Yes, very easily. All you need to do is create a Smart Album (from the File Menu -> New -> New Smart Album) and set the criteria as "Photo" (from the first popup) "is" (second popup) "Movie" (third popup). That's it!

Please note that you can't delete stuff from a Smart Album, as it is actually just an intelligent search, not really an album. IOW, everything that meets the criteria is included in there, thus you can't delete stuff from there because it still meets the criteria. If you then delete a movie from the main library, then of course it no longer appears in the Smart Album.

Thanks for that Chas_m. I can easily do the Smart Album for videos in Aperture, but for whatever reason I have not seen the option for videos in iPhoto (probably because I was trying to modify existing smart albums rather than creating from scratch).

BTW one trick I have used on the deleting side that does work (at least in Aperture) is to create a new Project (in iPhoto it would be an event) and within the Smart Album, select all and then move them to the new event/project.
I then exported the project/event to its own library and trashed the project/event. Worked very well though a tad tedious in winnowing the video files from my Aperture library.
Now (thanks to you) that I know how to make the smart albums behave in iPhoto, I will try the same with my iPhoto library.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Good info thanks .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.