• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

anyone ever try QuiBids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have a few extra bucks. has anyone ever tried QuiBids and actually received a good deal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Everything I've ever read about those type of auction sites is that they are a scam.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
They are very real, but you never know how legit cross bidders are. I used QuiBids once, and didn't win. I didn't lose out because I got outbid, I lost because it seemed kind of weird how the bidding would get bumped at the ABSOLUTE last moment of bidding time. So, I just gave up after the time got extended more than an hour after countlessly restarting the bid clock. Asside from the 20 that I had to pay to give me credits to bid, I also went over that by more than 20 and some change. That was the last time I ever did anything with them.

I told my friend about QuiBids one time, and he became interested in it recently. He went on to actually win an auction and purchased a Nintendo DS for less than 40 bucks on it. Unfortunately for him, he lost more auctions following that, which would have paid for that nintendo if he would've just gone to the local GameStop. I heard about QuiBids first from another friend who got an iPod. If you go in an bidding auction, and you don't win it, you will end up paying money for nothing. Unlike ebay, there's nothing that shows you proof as to how how the bids come in(auto-bidding=scamming people for money). Autobidding sites, similar to QuiBids, are the scamming sites that you hear of, and because of that, people associate sites like QuiBids as being a scam, when it really isn't. There is no 3rd party to monitor who bids on a listing between a buyer and seller. Ebay has this in place. These sites are referred to as "penny auctions," meaning that each bid can be as little as 1 penny.

Don't bid unless you PLAN on winning that bidding war.

So, is it a "scam?" No. When I think of scamming, I think of Bernard Madoff.
So far, the only people who claim it to be a scam are the ones who didn't win the auction, and are crying foul because they are left to pay for their bids, even though they tell you that you pay for your bids regardless of winning an auction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
So far, the only people who claim it to be a scam are the ones who didn't win the auction, and are crying foul because they are left to pay for their bids, even though they tell you that you pay for your bids regardless of winning an auction.

Hrm, let me see.. you bid on something, don't get it but have to pay for it. Screw that. YMMV

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
QuiBids really isn't a scam...but it is one heck of a money maker for the QuiBids corporation!

Sure they can sell a new iPad for a silly low price of $22.54...because there are so many people bidding on it (each bid costs money)...and if each bidder places say 10, 50, or 100 bids each...the QuiBids company basically rakes in multiple times the retail selling price.

QuiBids is supposed to be a "penny auction site"...but each "penny bid" really costs the bidder $0.60 cents each...and each bidder may place 10, 20, 50 or more bids. So an iPad that appears to sell for $22.54 (which means 2254 bids were placed on it by multiple people @ $0.60/bid)...ends up netting QuiBids $1352.40...minus the purchase price of the iPad.

Quibids.com Reviews - Legit or Scam?

So yes...one person may walk away with a REALLY good deal...but 50, 100, or 200 other people who also placed bids walk away with nothing!!!:(

Only two people win in each auction...the person that wins the item & the QuiBids company.

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It is legit. I would stay away from it though. It's border line slot machine. >_>" So if you have a gambling addiction don't even.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
i won some iTunes 25$ g/cards on there, and i was INTENT on winning a putter. all in all i probably didn't spend as much as i didn in gift cards but i did not win the putter.. it can get pretty addicting.. you do not have the ability to walk away with what you are seeking at the end.. unlike ebay or amazon where you may get 10,20,.. you name it % off the item your seeking.. very rarely do you get what you want on Qbids.
I never won anything more than gift cards, but they did charge me 2.50 to mail each one. so the 2$ in 'pennies' that were worth 60 cents a shot, and the shipping.. who knows if i won't that tv what shipping would have been, full price?? glad i didn't find out.
if you do use it, bid at the weirdest hours you can.. the kind where most of the population is in bed, is all the advice i can give you.

edit::
you can get the item in ?, they give you your credit in bids towards the MSRP of the item you wanted in the first place.. if you bid 100 times @ 60 cents a pop you'll get 60$ towards what ever item you were interested in.. i never went down that path.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06GHz, 8GB memory, Parallels with Windows 7, dual monitors, 2 TB backup dr
Tried it! Wasted money! Never won a bid! Be prepared for frustration! In other words, stay away from it! Scam? No, but it's an honest way to take money away from unsuspecting people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3GS Black, Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I heard of it. And I don't think it is a scam. Just that most people think that they are really paying a penny for ever bid. That is not true. You are paying $0.60 for every penny you bid. So if you bid 50 times, that is 50 x $0.60 = $30. And say you do not win. you loose $30. But if you do win, you win something. Then you have to pay for the item.

So really this website is only good if you win. And in some cases, you are paying about the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
As far as I'm concerned, it IS a scam. How do you know if the other bidders are even real? It could be insiders controlling the action, and placing false bids at any time they deem fit. IMHO, they have to let someone "win" every once in a while to keep up the facade of their scam site.

You'd be a sucker to play that game (again, IMHO)

Doug

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
As far as I'm concerned, it IS a scam. How do you know if the other bidders are even real? It could be insiders controlling the action, and placing false bids at any time they deem fit. IMHO, they have to let someone "win" every once in a while to keep up the facade of their scam site.

You'd be a sucker to play that game (again, IMHO)

Doug

I tend to agree - and have recently seen a similar concept that's running a national TV advertising campaign currently - can't think of the name - but it just seems ridiculous to me.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I tend to agree - and have recently seen a similar concept that's running a national TV advertising campaign currently - can't think of the name - but it just seems ridiculous to me.

Hence slot machine. :Evil:

Reaction score
QuiBids

QuiBids called themselves as entertainment. I would add only for people who really don't have a life. If you are serious about bidding or buying an item I would recommend you go elsewhere. This "entertainment is actually a rip off. They charged you $ 60.00 up front with a promised that others have won items for small amount. But in reality, IT IS AN ENTERTAIMENT!!!

I Do not recommend this website to anyone. You would find more worthwhile "entertainment" then QuiBids!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
It is worse than gambling. Very enticing up front, but after you burn through your free bids you'll get real frustrated when an auction goes for hours on something you want.

Think you'll ever win a apple product, get real.

Don't bother.

Just noticed I posted twice lol. Don't use it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.