New to mac... Need help

Reaction score
I've been PC my whole life, and just got my first iMAC 2 weeks ago. I have no idea how to learn about this new language. It took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to turn on the computer (thats how bad I am with this)....
I saved few items in 1 folder on the computer, and now I want to transfer it to external hard drive. The hard drive was used on my PC and has items on it. How can I transfer the folder i made to this external hard drive?
Thanks in advance,
Golden Eye Studio LA

Reaction score
Start by just plugging in the external drive. If it's a recognized file format like FAT32 then it will show up on the Desktop. If it's file format is NTFS, then you won't be able to use it on your new iMac since OSX won't recognize NTFS file format.

If this is the case, back everything up on a PC and re-format the drive for FAT32 if you want it to be read/writable with both Mac and PC.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Start by just plugging in the external drive. If it's a recognized file format like FAT32 then it will show up on the Desktop. If it's file format is NTFS, then you won't be able to use it on your new iMac since OSX won't recognize NTFS file format.

If this is the case, back everything up on a PC and re-format the drive for FAT32 if you want it to be read/writable with both Mac and PC.

Actually Macs do recognize NTFS. They just can't write to them natively. You would need something like this. Which is what I'm currently using to write to NTFS formated drives.

FAT32 has limitations such as not being able to write files larger than 4GB onto a FAT32 formated drive. As long as you don't have files larger than 4GB then you are golden.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
An obvios bit of advice that sort of got left out is that, once it shows up on your desktop, simply drag the folder to the drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.