How to install Bootcamp via USB

Reaction score
I have the capability to download a copy of windows because I'm a student but I don't know how to format a usb drive so that I can use it to install windows. Can someone help me out? (It's a 4GB usb which as I understand is large enough but if it's not large enough for Windows 7 professional with service pack 1 could someone let me know)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The Boot Camp package requires a disc, it will not install from a flash drive, although I do believe you could probably work around that.

Regardless, in other cases I've read about where a school provides a copy of a downloadable edition of Windows 7, it's typically provided as an ISO, that is burnt to a disc. Have you actually received the software yet?

The last time I installed Windows 7 via a Flash drive, it required an 8GB drive. So, I'm not sure your 4GB drive is going to cut it.

OP
P
Reaction score
I have the option to pay $23 for a disk version that would be shipped to me or I could download it and not have to pay anything.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have the option to pay $23 for a disk version that would be shipped to me or I could download it and not have to pay anything.

It's really hard to give you direction without knowing what format the file is in. I would say go ahead and download it and let us know what you end up with. Worst case scenario is, you might need to copy it over to a Windows machine and either burn the disc or prep the flash drive from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB
If it is the Academic Alliance (MSDNaa) then the distribution is an ISO. Be sure to burn it with disk utility, as there are some funky settings you have to worry about to make it work with bootcamp. I burned all 4 images from MSDNaa before figuring it out. Also, if it is MSDNaa, you need a windows machine to run the download executable, but after it is done, the download is just an iso. (except the debug version, I still have not figured that one out.)

OP
P
Reaction score
Burning Windows 7 onto DVD

Is there a thread or FAQ I can go to that'll step me through burning windows 7 onto a DVD so I can install it? I need to know how I can format it.

Reaction score
Shouldn't your Win7 be on a disk from when you bought it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.