before and after shots/Canon DSLR + CS5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Very nice. You like your moody skies, don't you! :D

For me, the pick of the bunch has to be the lighthouse shot, good work on removing the people from that one.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Very nice. You like your moody skies, don't you! :D

For me, the pick of the bunch has to be the lighthouse shot, good work on removing the people from that one.

I was pretty impressed by that too. Some really nice shots. I think I have a few shots somewhere from that same market - about 2:07 in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
This is meant to be constructive criticism, and I hope you take it as such:

Personally I'm not a fan of heavy processing, but that's not where the criticism would take aim. A bunch of the shots themselves I like, just not really the processing... not my cup of tea. Though one I do like a lot is the mountain side. Processing worked very well on that one. Some of the sky shots have blown highlights and gradations, which (for me anyway) is a distraction from the actual scene.

What I think would improve these for the most part is the use of graduated filters. The foregrounds in most of these are very underexposed, but at a level that isn't close enough to what would make a good horizon silhouette. At least with a filter, you can expose the sky properly while maintaining that effect.

Doug

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments Doug and the time to watch the slideshow. A lot of my pics have some graduated filters photoshopped in to the foreground which I think help lead the eye better into the picture. I know the over-blown HDR look is not everyones taste, and some of mine are a bit clumsy and overdone at times, I do quite like the blurring of boundaries between photos and art. Maybe I need to be a bit more restrained on some of the skies!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm not thinking you need to necessarily be more restrained, after all I quite like Dave Nightingale's (rather heavily at times) post-processed work. I agree with Doug though, having an actual filter would allow you to not blow out the highlights in the skies, while still not going to a full silhouette.

All in all, I quite enjoyed the slideshow and quite miss Yorks. Oh and let's see some more!

OP
S
Reaction score
I'll add a graduated filter to my birthday list ;) - thx for the feedback, I'll post up in a few more months with some more - think its a good theme for a short Youtube movie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.