Mac air or pro

Reaction score
Hi I recently posted that I was goin to buy a MacBook pro. I want to switch from windows and I guess I don't know if I want Mac air 11 inch or MacBook pro 13 inch. I'm a sophomore in high school and I am replacing a hp laptop. I usually use laptops for Internet, some music and video stuff and I play farm simulator which is available on Mac store. I'm on a tight budget and I don't know which model to get. This would be my primary computer and I may want it for collage so a long lifespan is needed. Any suggestions?? Mac pro or air? I guess I'm not sure if mac pro is to much?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
My personal preference would be a macPro. The inclusion of a dvd player makes it more flexible in my mind. Plus, over the long term, the hard drive is user replaceable. Drive storage space is more adequate and affordable with a hard drive.

C

chas_m

I agree with Bob_Stan, but of course the Air is sooooo light and fast and cool and stuff. Makes it a tougher decision than it should be.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you for the feedback, but I'm not sure if the Mac pro is a tad overkill for me, I'm on a tight budget and all I do is web surf, watch YouTube, and some times I would use it for uploading to my YouTube account. I don't know but is Mac air all I need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
Only you can decide that. While college is down the road for you, just remember that it is unlikely that a computer bought today would have all the features you would need/want in 5 years (your senior year in college), no matter what it was.

In college you might find a need to run some windows programs and the additional drive space in a macPro would enable you to dual boot or run a program like Parallels to run Windows software. For your needs as you describe them today, the mac Air would certainly be adequate.

OP
H
Reaction score
Leaning towards Mac pro?

I'm starting to go again for MacBook pro 13 inch but the price is a tad high so I'd have to wait till I sold my hp. There is no way I can afford apple care right away, do can you buy it later on within the 1 year warranty?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You must purchase Apple Care prior to the expiration of the one year warranty. Also, shop around for Apple care. There are legitimate sellers of Apple care that sell it discounted. Stay away from eBay and Craig's list, however.

When you get ready to buy Apple care, inquire here and we can recommend some places where you can purchase at a discount.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm starting to go again for MacBook pro 13 inch but the price is a tad high so I'd have to wait till I sold my hp. There is no way I can afford apple care right away, do can you buy it later on within the 1 year warranty?

Is the price still high even with student discount? I think with taxes it came out to a little over a grand for the base model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
Personally I'd go with a 13 air over the pro, ssd will make quite a difference, and you get a better screen for only a very slight price difference

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
You may want to look at refurbished stock.

Go to the apple site and type in refurbished.

Same guarantee as new stock but it will have had a minor fault which apple certified staff have fully repaired.

Items are normally at least 10-15% cheaper than brand new stock but you can get a lot more off.

Items are one offs so if you see something you want and can afford buy it before someone else does.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.